Jump Start Cable

Hello,

I would like to DIY make a pair of jump start cables for my car. I would like to use 4 gauge copper cables and good battery clips. May I know how many amps a 4 gauge cable can carry? 200? 400? 800?

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Su

Its not really relevant. Thin ones can "carry it" but the resistance is higher and the voltage drops... You just need to look at heavy but flexible welding cables. And it depends what you are trying to start too! A freezing cold big diesel needs MUCH more CCA to turn over than a little petrol engine.

Reply to
Burgerman

Why not just buy some? It's a hell of a lot simpler.

Warmest Regards Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Well, I know what you mean but I have seen cases of jump start cables heating up and melting even when starting petrol engines.

Anyway, from my experience, if the battery is totally flat(due to leaving headlights on) then a thinner cable wouldn't be enough to jump start the car. But however the thinner cables can still be used if you connect the car with a dead battery to another car with a fresh battery and keep that car's engine running, this is so that the alternator can charge the dead battery in the other car. After about 5

- 10 mins then the car might start. However if you have good high capacity cables, just clip them on and the car will start because it's able to carry enough CCA from the fresh battery over.

Reply to
Brian Su

They're less than a tenner, just buy some :)

Reply to
Dan405

nah, I like doing things myself :) Besides, It's not easy and cheap to buy a good pair of jumper cables. ie: 4 gauge/2 gauge cables.

Reply to
Brian Su

4 AWG will be fine. For short moments they will carry all the current you could ever want before heating enough to have a serious enough voltage drop. Also the problem usually lies in the end connectors and the termination with the wire. Get some decent clamps and it will be fine.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Brian try 12mm dia copper cored single strand cable why well its more flexible and little loss off voltage

steve-s

Reply to
steve-s

4 gauge? you want 1 gauge if your being serious...

My Own made jump cables after not being able to find anything on the market worth bothering with are 50mm2 welding cables- rated at 500amps continuous- will start the most stubborn cold diesel with a buggered battery. Bit of an overkill for a car but hey..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..