onstar on 02 suburban and onstar interface for aftermarket radio

i want to install DVD/NAV into my 2002 suburban. i was told on this group before, that i would have to get a onstar interface. do i need to get this
if i do not intend on using, and also since onstar is discontinuing my service as if january 2008? can just connect the new receiver direct, without messing with the onstar?
as always, thank you in advance
Troy
Yes Troy you will. Using it or not is not the issue, it's wiring, there are different plug configurations for different OE setups. No, there is absolutely no way of "direct connection"

azwiley1 wrote:

You can tap into the (motorola) OnStar receiver for the GPS receiver and you can use it with a PC or other handheld device. Not sure if the signal is correct for a NAV unit without some interface though. http://www.openminds.net/onstar/1explanation.html
--
Steve W.

Steve, I have seen done what you are referencing, and it works well with the OEM deck, however, this will not work for what Troy is doing, replacing the OE deck with an aftermarket (Pioneer he told me once) deck with Nav.
thanks all for input, it is much appreciated