removing OnStar from Outbacks?

I've noticed that a few of the H6 Outback models come standard with OnStar. My question is, how possible/easy is it to remove it from one of these models? Is it a similar level of effort to removing the stereo, or is it more complicated than that?

(The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to find an Outback wagon with a more powerful engine than the standard 160hp H4, but also with leather upholstery. The only ones with both of these seem to also include OnStar, which I don't really want.)

Thanks, Ethan

Reply to
Ethan Shayne

If you don't want OnStar, don't use it. No one's going to force you. Basic safety/security service is free for the first year, after that you pay - or not.

Reply to
Alan

At

they explain how to use the OnStar GPShardware standalone after you have decided that the service isn't worth themonthly service charge. Walt Kienzle

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

You're not running a chop-shop, are you?

Reply to
CompUser

*ouch* Good question.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

Then don't use it.

Reply to
Ragnar

re-phrase the question:

I'm g>CompUser wrote:

Reply to
X-Eliminator

It had to cost money to put On-star in the car. Why should we have to pay for something that we do not want. Something like this should be have to be ordered not automatically installed.

Reply to
Jerre Bassler

My sentiments. Reading on other forums shows the current trends are steal the car, move it some distance from site, park it in a lot and watch for a while. No cops, no Onstar/Lo-Jack. Crooks

*are* concerned with it.

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

I had hoped to use the space taken by the OnStar buttons for something else. It looks like it's a standard DIN size/shape, from the pictures on Subaru's web site. If nothing else, even a plastic pocket would be better than having a bank of useless controls there.

Reply to
Ethan Shayne

I got a base H6 Outback wagon that comes with cloth seats and no OnStar or sunroof. I had the dealer arrange for installing leather seats by a local shop. They did a pretty good job and it looks just like factory-installed leather upholstery. Check with your local dealers. They might be able to do the same thing. I realize that does not directly answer your question about removing an OnStar, but it might be something to consider, especially if you don't care about a sunroof.

By the way, if I could do it over again, I'd probably get an Outback with the standard H4. I don't think there's enough of a performance advantage with an H6 to be worth the additional cost and gas consumption.

Reply to
Rich6045