OT; Any Canadians out there

It's a litlle off topic but the only way for me to get some info.

I'am thinking about to go and live in Canada, there was an ad in some magazine i got from my employer. They're searching truckdrivers in Canada( New Brunswick). Since my profession is turning the bigwheels iám getting curious abou this. Can somebody from Canada get me some more info about working there and about the living conditions, like unemploymend rates, housing, living expences, and gas prices etc,etc.

I've heard there's a points system for deciding who te let in and who not. Any info on this?

TIA

Marc '88 K1500 4X4 BMWR1100GS Heerlen, Holland

Reply to
Marc

"Marc" wrote

Well, unless you get some sort of iron clad guarantee that you will stay working, I'd stay away from the Maritimes. I'm not sure if the employment situation has changed much lately, but it's always been fairly high un-employment down that end of Canada. Unless you don't mind living on welfare for half the year.

If you want to work in a province that has had and probably will continue to have a fairly booming economy, I'd suggest Alberta. Of course, I'm biased, as I've lived here for over 20 years. The questions that you asked above about living conditions, housing etc.....that will change from province to province. I believe that we are around the 5% un-employment rate here in Alberta, housing...average detached house price is around the 200,000 dollar mark, gas prices are around 70-75 cents a litre. Cost of living is pretty similar to any other large city. (large in Canada, I might add)

I don't know anything about this, but I sure hope they start cracking down on who they let in. Maybe check with your Canadian embassy and see if you can get any info that way.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Hi Ian, thanks for your reaction. This agency who is "recruiting" truckers says that we get a contract with a transportation company. I asked them to about some info, but with the holydays and all it will take a few days more to get some. Theye say that last year 28 familys got a new place to live and work in Canada and that they're still searching around 40.000 truckdrivers. Since the law says that youcannot drive a rig unless you're 21 or so, and a lot of the older truckers are retiring.(funny word when you think about it, lol) I'le try to find out and maybe let you now what's new.

Marc '88 K1500 4X4 BMWR1100GS Heerlen, Holland

Reply to
Marc

I agree with Ian, about living in Alberta (Calgary to be specific) I've been here 11 years, It's hard to beat the economy and availiability of jobs in Calgary. I see Class 1 drivers wanted adds in the local news paper regularly. There are many trucking companies based here or at least have a large facility and yard within the city. I cannot vouch for living in the maritimes (East Coast, Canada) as I've never been there, but I can say there are lots of easterners in Calgary, because they can't get jobs back home.

I have a good friend (Reinier Paauwe) that was born in Holland, he has landed immigrant status in Canada now. Good Luck Luke

Reply to
Demon

"Demon" wrote

I will say that I do like the Maritimers.....excellent people with a great sense of humor...and fairly good natured. Gotta love their accents...too. We just hired a tech from Nova Scotia ( or somewhere down there) and so far he's enjoying himself. Goes out to Waiparous (sp?) every weekend with his Jeep. Another apprentice who works beside me threw a lift kit in his old piece of shit Cherokee, went out 4x4ing for the weekend, and promptly blew up one of the pinion gears in his differential. Fortunately, he managed to get towed out of there in one piece. More money then brains.....these guys.

What do you do for work in Calgary?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I'm an apprentice HET at an industrial diesel engine rebuild shop off of Barlow Tr. in the SE. Gotta love the OHV areas, Waiprous and McLean creek. I've been known to tour the foothills myself every now and again......... Luke.

Reply to
Demon

Ian, what the hell are you saying? I'd never thought that I would say this on this newsgroup, but oh boy Ian, you are so wrong!! Open your eyes there is an whole lot more to Canada that AB.

Reply to
DaNewf

"DaNewf" wrote

I'm only talking about work, employment....etc. Hell, you should see all the Maritimers down here! When I ask them why they are here, they reply "work". They love the Maritimes, but can't make a living there.

Alberta ain't heaven, but at least you can find work here. That was really my only point to the original poster. Didn't mean to slag the Maritimes!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I second that as well. They come in droves to work the rigs and such till they make enough to go home. They stay there till they're broke, then come back here to do it all again. I'm not guessing at that or making assumptions, I've been told that by more than one eastcoaster that I've talked to. One's just gone back to Sussex, NB and another to Wentworth Valley, NS. It's strictly a work thing, they love their land but make $$$ here.

Reply to
Demon

Worked steady for 39 years at a great job. So do lots of people in the Maritimes/Atlantic Canada.

I don't think that most of the people going to Alberta for jobs couldn't get jobs here. Perhaps they thought the grass was greener. :-)

High Sierra an Atlantic Canadian.

Reply to
High Sierra