Question about 2000 GMC Sierra-->answered!

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question about my 2000 GMC Sierra pickup truck. It would start easily when it was cold, but then I was having problems starting it once it was warmed up.
I received lots of ideas from this group, which I thank everyone for. Today, my mechanic (at my suggestion) started checking the fuel pressure, and then, at my suggestion from 'Hairy' in this group, he checked the fuel pressure regulator valve. Yup, it was bad. He pulled the vaccuum hose and fuel came spilling out. He did say I would have to buy one at the local dealer because the local auto parts stores don't carry this item. I called the local dealer and they said it cost US $75. To me, that's a bargain. My mechanic didn't even charge me for the extra labor because I was in there for an oil change and it only took him a minute to find the problem. According to him, it is a piece of cake to replace it. I had a good day today :-)))
Thanks H !!
Joe

Today,
then,
because
dealer
change
Joe
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you found your problem. I couldn't tell from your post whether you had replaced the regulator yet, or not. If not, don't wait any longer than you have to as the raw fuel is washing the oil off of your cylinder walls and destroying the cats. In this case, procrastination is not a virtue;-)

pickup
pressure
came
didn't
is
from
don't
Hi H,
Called the dealer this AM, they have to order the part and it will be in by Friday. I will have it replaced within the week. Thanks for the heads up. What are the cats?
Joe

it
of
procrastination
by
Catalytic converters.....you have two of them.

for.
and
fuel
local
tell
off
up.
Another question, shouldn't fuel have been showing up in the oil when I get my oil changed?
Joe

Sierra
having
dealer
oil
him,
not,
in
get
Some likely did make it to the crankcase but most would have gone out the exhaust. We're not talking large quantities of fuel, but enough to flood the cyls, hence the difficulty starting.

the
Ok and hence, the fuel smell. Well, I went to another dealer today because they said they had one, but, of course, there's 2 different ones. One has the vaccuum hose connected to the 'side' of the regulator, and one has the hose connected to the 'top' of the regulator. So since my regulator's hose connection points up toward the engine, instead of toward the fender, I thought the one I needed was Part number 1170-3700(top), but, when I looked in the pkg, I noticed that it was the wrong one. I need part number 1170-3786(side) IIRC. Anyway, they will have one tomorrow so I can pick it up and have it replaced then. A hundred bucks instead of $75.
Can I expect to have to replace anything else because this problem has gone on for at least a month now? Like cylinders, pistons, rings, cats, stuff like that? My driving is mostly city type, low speed (under 50mph), only occasionally using the highways.
Joe

the
looked
gone
There's no way to know how much damage was done (if any). Time will tell...I wouldn't worry about it.

tell...I
Well, thanks again, H
Joe