Radiator Slush Problem

Page 2 of 2
KJ wrote:

Hook up the overflow tank. It is one of the best ideas that ever came along. First of all with it the radiator is kept full without any air. Also you don't suck dust and stuff back into the radiator. After a couple years it is amazing how much dirt there is in the bottom of the overflow tank. Most new vehicles have the overflow connected directly to the radiator and the pressure cap is on the overflow tank.
My Duramax says the coolant is good for 100,000 miles. I will have to see that to believe it.
Pressure caps on the new vehicles are better at releasing the pressure too. I'll have to find a new rat cap with the lever to release the pressure.
I'll also have to visit the used do-it-yourself dealer to get a cap for my reserve tank.
~KJ~

that
use
measured)

Duluth? I'm near Thunder Bay, Ontario. It is -20C/0F right now. Brrrr -- Regards Gordie
The Nolalu Barn Owl wrote:

Hmm, Having a heat wave are you? Been there: Beautiful country (in the summer).
BTW it was -10 this morning and the truck started no problem, and cooled off just as usual.
The annoying part is that "usual" is "bouncing back and forth between 210 and 235, and sometimes between 210 and 260"
Yay
~KJ~

Perhaps the temperature seesaws because the thermostat is in need of changing. Just a thought.

My thoughts were:
A: Failing fan clutch B: Failing temp sensor C: Failing t-stat
In that order, any other thoughts?
~TLGM

The cardboard is something you use while the truck's running to prevent the stuff that's flowing thru the radiator from turning to slush. If I remember correctly, the rule is to leave 10% of the surface area uncovered. Haven't you seen the big rigs and their custom vinyl covers for the front of the truck in the wintertime? Ever wonder why they've got 'em? It's so that they can have warm inside the cab....
Jeremy
Yes I have, I thought it was some diesel thing. I might be doing this, the truck isn't warming up quite right. I'd start with 50% though....
~KJ~

this
the
remember