2000 S-10 questions

Is there any programmability with the RKE system, something I can do myself? I'd like to try and maybe get the lights to come on and stay on when I unlock the doors, as well as have both doors unlock with one key press, instead of 2. How about a horn honk when I lock with the RKE? I bought the truck used, dealer only had a manual from a 99, I accepted that, knowing that there was at least 1 difference (dome override 4x disables DRLs and auto headlights for that key cycle, works on mine, but not on 99's). Also, because the truck was used, I only got 1 RKE, that's all they had. Can I buy one from Ebay and program it myself, or does a dealer need to do it?

I know on my mom's 2000 Buick you can program this type of stuff, it's in the manual, unfortunately I don't have the right manual for the truck.

Is there a key sequence for reading DTCs like on some makes, or is Chevy a scan-tool only deal?

Thanks, I know you guys are a helpful bunch, and chip in myself when I can...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Different keyless entry systems are used on General Motors vehicles. The parts are not interchangeable even though the parts may appear to be similar. Observe the back of the transmitter in order to properly identify the system. On 2000 S/T pickups and utilities, use a transmitter identified with GM/UTA preceding the part number.

1.. With the driver door closed, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. 2.. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. 3.. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. 4.. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. 5.. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. 6.. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner in order to indicate that the receiver is in the programming mode: 1.. Locking the doors 2.. Unlocking the doors

Important All extra transmitters must be programmed at this time. When a new transmitter is programmed, the old transmitters will be deactivated.

Reply to
Bobo

Reply to
Bobo

Thanks for that Bobo, if I happen upon a transmitter that will work with my system I'll keep that in mind. Anything on programming another key? I DO have 2 keys, but if I find a need or want for a

3rd, can I do that myself or is that dealer->Different keyless entry systems are used on General Motors vehicles. The
Reply to
Mike Levy

Reply to
Bobo

But the keys have to be coded so the ignition cylinder can determine if it's the right key or a fake... Don't they?

Reply to
Mike Levy
[snip]

I only counted 4 questions. What happened to the other 1,996? :-)

Reply to
David Kelly

Reply to
Bobo

OK, was not aware of that. The dealer cut me a second key anyway, they only had 1 key and 1 remote.

How about fluids? I have the G80 in the back, can I still run Molbil1

80w90? T-case can be Mobil 1 tranny fluid, right? I know the tranny can be. T-case is the 2-speed, 2Hi 4Hi 4Lo unit, not the autotrac or whatever it is.
Reply to
Mike Levy

Mike Levy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you are still looking for another RKE try here:

I got one for my truck. Works great. Half the price of the dealer.

Reply to
David Wilkinson