Re: 2000 rear end problem

Don't get too excited about some play back there. There is more then just the play between the ring and pinion. You also have to account for the play in spider gears and their pinion shaft, play between the spiders and the side gears in the differential, and slop between the side gears and the case, and side gears and the axle shafts. Unless the pinion is loose, or side bearings are worn allowing the ring gear to move back and forth...the play you are seeing is probably normal.
Ian
Ian,
Can you elaborate on what you consider "play"? I have a 2000 silverado 1500 5.3 Z71 that clunks pretty bad. The dealer says it's in spec. I check with truck in Neutral, ebrake engaged. I can then turn the rear driveshaft almost 1/2 turn back and forth. Is that considered play or is that excessive?
Thanks, Derek
wrote

"derek" wrote

That seems like too much play. But then, I'm in front of computer screen, not actually looking at your truck, so it would be unfair to second guess the dealer. If there is almost 1/2 turn of play at the rear diff yoke.....it may need some exploratory surgery to see where the excess play is.
We often get complaints of clunking when you go between reverse and drive.....on most 4x4's it's normal as you get a lot of slack when you add up all the components and their clearances in the drivetrain of a 4x4.
Ian
Thanks Ian. Since the dealer said it's OK, I have it documented so if the rear end ever granades I may have some recourse.
Thanks again,
Derek

I had the rear end go out on my 2000 5.3 4X4 1500 at 38,000 miles just out of warranty. I had complained each time I got the oil changed about the slop, and at one point they told me they had a recall on a urethane bushing and replaced it. When it finally went out G.M. paid for half of the bill to fix it.
Jeff