rear play

Jeep has started making a new noise..... only way to describe it, is it sounds like a whining when on the gas.... checked all the obvious things am about to check diff fluid and change.

Now this is my question, when I jacked the rear up and checked I had about an inch where I can turn one rear wheel before the other moves (have recently had fitted 4.56 gears and a truetrac) is this normal with this setup???? or is normal anyway??? please say yes!

Reply to
Simon Redmond

Don't know what vehicle you have, but I just changed back axles on my 81 CJ, still up on stands, had dif cover off, still looks like new in there, no locker, anyway I can turn one wheel a 1/4 turn before the other does, don't know if this helps you or not.

Reply to
Greg

Some play is normal and is designed in when the gears are setup. Not sure how much or how it's measured though.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

sorry should have mentioned..... 93YJ dana 35 rear....

Reply to
Simon Redmond

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill, you should know by now that a Truetrac is a limited slip differential, not a locker.

And Simon, the whine sounds like the R&P installer may have not set them up properly.

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address N6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

and the

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

differential,

I'm with Jerry on this one. The slop you are experiencing is not abnormal in itself, but coupled with the noise, it sounds like the R&P set-up is wrong.

Reply to
CRWLR

well dropped the fluid out and I think I've managed to get some water in there, just milky grey goop came out..... oops

teeth look OK and can't see an obvious signs of damage, so am hoping it's just a bearing.

Cheers for the help and advice tho...

Simon

Simon Redmond

Hope it's just water you mean....

You might have no damage yet, just some wear.

I would fill it and drive it to see before ripping anything apart.

The inch of rotation is normal.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Steve G

Thanks guys, what diff oil would you recommend??? One mechanic I've spoken to has suggested 75/140??? never used that before myself, but this is the first time I've changed the fluid since putting the truetrac's in.

Cheers Sim> Hope it's just water you mean....

Reply to
Simon Redmond

When I dropped the rear prop out there was about 1/8" of slop on the pinion, didn't seem right to me! Also correct me if I wrong but water ingress would cause that would?

Took all apart and replaced the all the bearings, not too difficult.... but then I had a mate who helped. Everything is back together again it sounds

1000 times better, there is still a very slight whine (you can only just here it if you listen for it) but this gets overtaken by tire noise when you get above 40mph.....

couldn't afford to take it back to the shop, they said it was because of the water damage and wanted £400 to take a look and replace the bearings plus it's 200 miles away.

Reply to
Simon Redmond

The whine is dangerous!

Just had a pro do my rear bearings and it is so quite it is scary.

Mike

Mike Romain

characterized

Reply to