truck take forever to heat-up

Page 2 of 2
The Nolalu Barn Owl wrote:

I'm with you Gordie, ALWAYS carry a jug of antifreeze, uncut, in the back of the chevy. I snowplow with a 78 and getting outside in Northern Ontario at 6am pretty much assures seeing some -35 to -40 mornings. Have NEVER seen frozen green! So which part of the great white north you from Gordie?
Cheers =^) Gord

Hiiiiiiii Gord,
I live just about 1 Km East of the village of Nolalu Ontario, right on Hwy 588. Our house is approx. 50 Km South by South West of Thunder Bay Ontario. It was -33C this morning (under -20 F but unsure of the actual value) and I stopped on the way to the morning chores to check the jug I left on the deck (so I wouldn't miss my chance to check) and it was green liquid. No ice, no slush and no gel (whatever that is). Supersore brand, no-name antifreeze. Over the years I have tried Mastercraft (Canadian Tire brand) and Prestone and Prestone II as well as some stuff I got from K-Mart and I have NEVER seen solid green.
Where do you live Gord? Sounds like you get the kind of weather that would freeze fuel oil in the tank or stop propane from turning to gas. At those temps you can break a spring by just climbing into your truck in the morning.
-- Regards Gordie
Missed the first post, but is this temp. reading you're giving us from the OEM gauge? May be that the ending unit is not reading right, had it happen to me, didn't think it was right that the truck was only running at just over 150 in the middle of summer. See if there's some other way of reading the temp., or replace the coolant temp. sending unit. Mike, Working off gauge on dash. Bottom line though, takes forever to warm-up, to put out heat. I don't need a gauge to know that I'm freezing! I Do though believe the gauge is close enough, it does seem to corespond to temp of the thermostat, once warmed-up. Thanks, Mr Ranger
Hi, I'm new to the group but thought I'd put in two cents worth here. There are properties of liquids known as boiling point elevation and freezing point depression. These properties are evidenced when two liquids that are mixed together have a lower freezing point and higher boiling point than either of the original liquids. The freezing point depression property is what is happening when antifreeze and water are mixed in the cooling system to protect it from freezing. Additionally, freezing point depression is also shown by adding soluble solids to a liquid; adding salt to water is an example. If one looks at the charts in the link provided by The Nolalu Barn Owl, http://www.ashchem.com/adc/chemicals/faq_answer.asp?typeID=3&is_header=N one will see that the Methanol/Water Mixture chart shows the effect. In regards to a jug of antifreeze freezing or not, the actual temperature at which the antifreeze in the jug will freeze is determined by the concentrations of various components. Unless the antifreeze consist of one pure component the freezing point will be depressed from the freezing point of the primary component(s).
Loyd
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:05:00 -0500, "Blake Loyd"

Huh?? Pure-D antifreeze. no ration of any OTHER components. No freezing at any time in at least the last 30 years. I am getting weary of racing outside with a flashlight to see PURE liquid and then having to listen to people who learn from books, repeating mindlessly what they hear, tell me that it is gelled (whatever THAT is) or slush or frozen or whatever. It is liquid. It is ALWAYS liquid down to any temperature mother nature has given me as far back as I have been interested in looking at this. -- Gordie
MIRACLES:
"Gemma di Giorgi was born without any pupils in her eyes. In 1947, when she was just seven years old, Di Giorgi's grandmother brought her from Sicily to San Giovanni Rotondo where St. Padre Pio was and asked him to heal her blindness. After confession and her first communion, Padre Pio made the SIGN OF THE CROSS on each of Gemma's eyes.
Then it happened. She could see DESPITE THE LACK OF EYE PUPILS."
http://www.visayandailystar.com/2003/February/28/fromdcenter.htm

Owl,
by
of
Gordie, I didn't mean to imply that you were wrong. I was just giving the particulars as to why antifreeze works. The antifreeze in your jug may be pristine pure. It may consist of only one ingredient. It may have a freezing point that is far below what the ambient temperature has ever reached at your location. Or, it might be a mixture in itself, it might be contaminated with water from the atmosphere if the jug has been open for thirty years(alcohols are hydrophilic), someone may have used some and added some water so you wouldn't know. It doesn't matter. I believe you. I have no reason not to. :)
Loyd
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:21:30 -0500, "Blake Loyd"

This is a joke, ryte?? Different jugs, different brands, no water, 30 years, at least -30F and now a guy who can't pay attention.
-- Gordie
MIRACLES:
"Gemma di Giorgi was born without any pupils in her eyes. In 1947, when she was just seven years old, Di Giorgi's grandmother brought her from Sicily to San Giovanni Rotondo where St. Padre Pio was and asked him to heal her blindness. After confession and her first communion, Padre Pio made the SIGN OF THE CROSS on each of Gemma's eyes.
Then it happened. She could see DESPITE THE LACK OF EYE PUPILS."
http://www.visayandailystar.com/2003/February/28/fromdcenter.htm

determined
consist
freezing
only
atmosphere
someone
Well, I just checked the ingredients on a couple of jugs that I have. They both are mixtures of two different glycols, and they both contain water as well as rust inhibitors. So, they are not pure compounds. What brand is it that you have that doesn't contain water?
Loyd
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:56:41 -0500, "Blake Loyd"

So then, your antifreeze already has more than 50% water out of the jug? You don't have a mix chart for your antifreeze?
Your antifreeze is listed as a food product and as such must include a list of ingredients?
Just WHAT is it you would have me believe? -- Gordie
"What becomes, I ask, of the claim that in recent centuries the Gospel of Christ has been restored to its original purity? If those persons who lived in the first years of the Christian era are disqualified from giving testimony, how are critics to learn the characteristics of the early Church? If, on the other hand, the testimony of early Christians is accepted, as it should be, then the doctrines of the Catholic Church are confirmed."
http://www.transporter.com/apologia/lds_rcc/cont19.html

Barn
effect.
then
mindlessly
slush
of
the
be a

doesn't
They
as
it
First off, I have no idea how much water is in the antifreeze as it only gives the ingredients and a reference number for some reason( I assume it has to do with health and safety standards). I have no idea where you get the idea that just because something contains a list of what is in the package it makes it a food product. If that were the case, then I suppose the steel wagon my great nephew got for Christmas is a food product because it contained a list of what was in the box. Of course there is a mix chart for the antifreeze. It gives a fifty percent mix as being good down to -34 and up to 265 and a seventy percent mix as being good down to -84 and up to 275. But that is all it gives, no other percentages. So I have no idea at what temperature the antifreeze would turn to slush or freeze. As for what I'd have you believe, I wouldn't have you believe anything. As for what I'd like you to realize, first is that I never questioned your veracity about the antifreeze you have outside never freezing. Second is that my original post was just one of general information as to why antifreeze does what it does. And third is most modern antifreeze sold in gallon containers is made up of more than one component.
Loyd
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:51:08 -0500, "Blake Loyd"

First of all you jumped into a fray that doesn't exist. Nobady except you and me cares about this thread. Second of all you ask questions that reveal that you haven't read all the posts or you would already know the answers. Third of all, in Canada, food products have to list their ingredients by law. A list of nuts and bolts is not a list of ingredients is it but is a parts list. You are being silly. Forth of all, IF there was already enough water in the jug I got from the store then there would be no need and indeed no way to mix in any more water. Last but not least -- try the experiment yourself! -- Gordie
CULTS AND SECTS:
"Remember: every sect in the world feeds off of the Catholic Church. Our Holy Catholic Church is like a great and extremely precious unpolished diamond, from which every so often somebody takes a particle and polishes it--not without the help of the evil one--so that it begins to shine better that the great unpolished diamond. And this shine draws men, dazzles them and deceives them, so that the particle necessarily is worn out and comes to nothing. This is the game of deception, which appears and reappears with time. Jesus warned us to watch out for it!"
Padre (Saint) Pio - Stories of Padre Pio p.60 by Madame Katharina Tangari ISBN 0-89555-536-0

for
the
no
anything.
your
in
The only reason I care about this thread is that you seem to think I was arguing with you about the antifreeze not turning to slush when I wasn't doing any such thing. If you go back and read what I wrote you should see that.

In fact, I asked one question and that was to what brand antifreeze you had that didn't contain water. If you don't believe me, go back and check for yourself. Also a fact, I had read ever post in the thread before I posted to it.

Of course I was being silly to match your being silly about antifreeze being a food product just because the ingredients are given on the container.

I agree.

Can't. As I said before I take your word for it . I live in south Georgia and have no means to get a jug of antifreeze down to -30 if I wanted to.