oil & transmission change

Hi,
I have an '02 TL and my wife has an '04 TL. I have always used standard oil and get the oil changed when the computer tells me to, which is usually about 6000 miles. Today I was told by the mechanic
that I should use synthetic oil if I go more than 5000 miles between oil changes otherwise I will get sludge buildup. Is this true?
Also, today I got my wife's transmission fluid changed at 45k miles. I was told it was dirty when it came out and it was suggested that at the next oil change I get another transmission drain and fill to remove any left over particles. Again, is this true, or is the service station just trying to get more money from me?
Thanks!!
In article

Your mechanic doesn't trust the computer to know exactly how well your oil is holding up under your particular operating conditions. He's still back in the 50s when generic mileage recommendations ruled.
He's wrong.

A trans drain/fill doesn't get nearly all the fluid out. Honda says to replace as much fluid as possible, drain/fill/drive/repeat three times.

Hm....repeat 3 times, at $60 a pop. How important is this??? And can I do it with each oil change (at 6k/5 months) or should it be done sooner?
From what you said about the computer knowing how the oil is holding up, I guess there are sensors for that in the oil pan??
In article

Nope.
The oil grade is specified and known. Based on that oil grade, the engineers know how it holds up under a variety of operating conditions--cold starts, city driving, highway driving, high revs, low revs, and all combinations of the above--and they program the engine computer to keep track of it all.
The computer calculates, based on your operating conditions, how much of the oil usefulness is left. It does this all the time. Some people may get 15,000 miles out of an oil change. Some people may get 4,500 miles. The engineers have programmed the computer to keep track of it all and tell you, based on what the engineers know about how operating conditions affect oil life.
But hey, they're just highly paid Honda engineers. What do they know compared to some crusty old dude who's been changing oil on Chevies for 50 years.

Hey! I totally trust the engineers. I just wanted to know if my own instinct (that the mechanic was incorrect) is correct. BTW, he's not old <g>.
How about my question regarding the transmission fluid?
Thanks!

How many times did they actually "change" the fluid during this particular service? And did they use genuine Honda ATF-Z1?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ