REQ: Replacement Tires 2005 TL

Hi all,

The original HX MXM4 Michlins, size P235/45 R17 are near end of life. I have no complaints about them, having lasted nearly 50K miles with no issues. But, with Fall approaching, I'm trying to get some idea of what might be good replacements, as these OEM tires seem awful expensive.

I live in the Washington, DC area, have relatively light snow/ice exposure and am retired now. The car does mostly local driving with some runs on the Interstates for vacations in the summer and visiting relatives. I prefer an all weather treat for the few occasions when a summer tread just isn't going to give adequate traction. I'm not an aggressive driver (any more), having given that up when the Porsches went and family life began. LOL

So, anyone a tire they like/recommend given the above?

Got a tire you recommend I stay away from?

TIA, Paul

Reply to
Paul Christiansen

Paul Christiansen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Same car. Last year I put on Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season. They are a relatively new model with a computer designed tread to disperse water, while still being a sport tire. Best all around tire I've ever had. Not a hint of slipping in the rain (sorry, no snow or ice here in SoCal but I hear the are great there as well.) Great in the good weather as well. They are not cheap, but probably less than the OEM and MUCH better. Worth it I think.

Reply to
me

You may want to browse

you don't have to buy tires from them to use their ratings; especially the customer-based survey. be sure to read the user comments before making your decision.

Your OEM tires are rated badly by Tire Rack consumers. For moderately priced tires, consumers rate the Continental ContiExtremeContact, Yohohama AVID W4S and Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grid well and these cost from $109 to $122 each. I live in Laurel, MD and have the Yokos on my daughter's Accord and an earlier version of the Bridgestones on our Accord. Both do OK during the winter and are fine in the wet.

You may be able to get away with less expensive tires if you chat with one of the Tire Rack reps about going with something taller than the fairly low profile 45 series tires on your car. A speed rating of at least "H" (130 mph) or "V" (149 mph) is fine your car. There's no sense spending all that money for a "W" (168 mph) speed rating for a TL. Ensure the load rating is at least as high as OEM. Note: local tire stores may be reluctant or unwilling to sell you anything less than "W" rated tires as those are what came on it. (My Acura Legend came with "V" rated tires; I've run nothing higher than "H" rated for many years.)

Reply to
ACAR