Starting problem

Is it possible or even probable that a corroded ground wire would cause the solenoid to just click?

It has been sporatic lately, and I noticed that the ground was seriously funky. Just wondering if that was my problem.

Reply to
dave

======================================

You guessed it. All four connections of the battery cables have to be good since it's a series circuit. When there's a loose or corroded ground wire the current can't flow. Boosting sometimes circumvents the problem because the booster cables are often connected to a ground point rather than the battery cable.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

"dave" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Jim Yanik

Very helpful. Thanks guys.

Jim Yanik wrote:

Reply to
dave

"dave" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It took me far longer to break loose the lower starter bolt than to replace the solenoid contacts(tight workspace). I have not had any problems with the starter since. 94 Integra GSR.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Reply to
dave

"dave" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Well,I already had a cold air intake,so I didn't have to remove the air filter box for access.All I could fit in there was a 3/8" breaker bar,but not much room for pushing on it! After a whole lot of cursing and stomping,it broke loose;turns out the lower bolt had some really long threads and was frozen into the aluminum block.You might want to use some anti-sieze when reinstalling it.

also,maybe some PB Blaster penetrating oil would help unfreeze it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I spoke to my son today, and in the past two weeks his car has fired up every time. Something that had been getting more and more difficult. In addition to the clicking, his power locks would activate occassionally. On,,, off,,, on,,, off and then behave themselves for a few days. As of yet, they haven't self activated since I cleaned the ground connection to the car. Looks like that was the problem. What is funny is that while he was here, I noticed that he had a burned out headlight. When I took the top panel off to fix it is when I noticed the ground connection. Of all the dumb luck!

Thanks for the input. Dave

Reply to
dave