Stuck door locks

This is on my 02 RSX. The power door locks, when activated by the remote, have gotten stuck. I think it's just the drivers side door - the various (3) motors are still all working, and the passenger door
and hatch all open, but the little lock knob on the drivers side doesn't pop up or down. I'm pretty sure it's just stuck somehow - it was working ok, then gradually got balky, would work sometimes and sometimes not, and now it just refuses to go up or down at all. Using the key in the door still works fine. How would I lubricate this thing? My first inclination is to just unscrew the knob and then spray some wd-40 into the hole, but have a nagging feeling that that's not really the best solution. Any ideas?
--
-----------------------------
I only talk like that in the movies

The external mechanism is the most vulnerable (unless the inside parts missed the "grease" step in assembly), so I'd start there. Haven't looked for it for a while, but there at least used to be an aerosol form of white grease that would be just the ticket. If not the outside, the door panel has to come off to get to the goodies.
Mike
It could be a bad solenoid. At worst, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HkH8EWblxM

Yoda wrote:

-------------------------------
LockEase is the graphite aerosol spray to use on the lock, but it's more likely the return spring has piled up inside the actuator. I removed the spring from my wife's CR-V and it works fine now. It was all piled up and folded over in a mess. The key was getting very stiff as a result. You know about holding the drivers outer handle OUT while locking if the door is open, right?
'Curly'

Yes, it sounds like it might be a similar return spring problem - the motor's working, and I've lubed the thing from the outside, but it only moves a little, and doesn't open or close. The other 2 locks work fine with the remote. Looks like I might try to remove the panel and see what's going on. I'm not having a problem using the key, and don't know about holding the handle out while locking - what does that do?
--
-----------------------------
I only talk like that in the movies
Yoda wrote:

---------------------------------
I'm assuming it's the same as all Hondas. Prevents you locking the keys in the car. It will be in your owner's manual if it's true.
'Curly'

If you hold out a Honda/Acura's inside handle while flipping the door lock lever to "lock",that allows the door to *lock behind you* when the door closes *without using a key or remote*,and it WILL allow you to lock your keys in the car. I know from personal experience.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
> GUEST wrote: > This is on my 02 RSX. The power door locks, when activated by the > remote, have gotten stuck. I think it's just the drivers side door - > the various (3) motors are still all working, and the passenger door > and hatch all open, but the little lock knob on the drivers side > doesn't pop up or down. I'm pretty sure it's just stuck somehow - it > was working ok, then gradually got balky, would work sometimes and > sometimes not, and now it just refuses to go up or down at all. Using > the key in the door still works fine. How would I lubricate this thing? > My first inclination is to just unscrew the knob and then spray some > wd-40 into the hole, but have a nagging feeling that that's not really > the best solution. Any ideas? > -- > ----------------------------- > I only talk like that in the movies
Yoda --
I saw your post and have what sounds like exactly the same trouble with my '02 RSX driver's-side door lock. did you have any luck?
I was just quoted $150 for parts and $150 for labor to fix this and I'm disinclined to believe them when they say it'll take an hour and a half for them to do the work. My lock works sometimes, is weather-sensitive, and the lock itself visibly struggles against something when you try to remote lock/unlock it.
The dealership guys were talking about an electrical failure, but the behavior doesn't strike me as electrical in nature -- it looks like a mechanical issue, some sticky thing restraining that one lock. The others all work fine, and there's no difficulty just using the key manually. $300 seems awfully steep.
TIA. Dave
I guess I'll try WD-40 and/or the LockEase suggestion.
On 2007-08-31 15:10:11 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@umich-dot-edu.no-spam.invalid (Jerky) said:

I've tried wd40, no luck. I haven't checked with the dealer about getting it fixed, I'm pretty sure it'll be about what you reported. So far I'm doing fine with just the key.
--
I only talk like that in the movies