2000 Audi A4 1.8

my son just purchased a 2000 Audi A4, 1.8 litre and it seems to be a great car. However, the read out display on the dash (where the temperature etc. is located) is barely legible. Anyone know what will be involved
cost wise or labor wise in repairing this, i.e. is a dealer really necessary to perform this repair? I'm hoping this is one we can do on our own. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Is there a knob on the dash to turn the light up? My 96 S6 has one tho not sure about A4s.
Tony

Richard

Check out audiworld.com and do a search on faded display and you will find this is a common problem. Apparently about $600 to fix; over $400 for the part. According to my Haynes manual you have to remove the steering wheel. It all sounds like a PIA to me.
thanks! I figured it would be as much. Wow.

sure you did...
"fankette" wrote in message

Had this problem on my -98 A6. Dealer fixed it for free (within 3 years). They would take 50% of the cost within 5 years. Conclusion: Have a chat with your dealer ASAP to find out whether your cars's still within any warranty coverage - even partial. I would have been outside the 3-years limit only a couple of weeks after I got it fixed...
The prices quoted for the repair does not seem high to me as the complete instrument cluster was replaced on my A6. Can't imagine you get that for $400-$600? (or is it just me being used to norwegian pricing...?)
Regards Rune Norway