98 Audi A6 steering problem.

My '98 A6 has absolutely no power steering. I am unsure whether I need to replace the pump or the steering rack...does anybody have any suggestions which it could be?

Thank you in advance. Mike B.

Reply to
MikeAFB

Mike, If you can reach the bellows on the rack, are they full of fluid and the reservoir is empty? Or are the bellows broken and the belly pan is full of fluid? Then replace the rack. If the fluid level is up, the it may be the pump - the pump may also be leaking. Just so it's not overlooked, the power steering pump is driven by a serpentine belt that runs the alternator and a/c compressor as well, right? In non-serpentine belt cars, the problem could be as simple as a thrown p/s belt. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears