98 Windstar Power Steering Problem

Hello,

Can anyone offer some insight into the following problem....

The Power Steering fluid is dark, looks like gear oil is in it. I removed as much fluid as possible and replaced with clean P/S fluid but it is still very dark (looks like oil is still in it). The vehicle steers O.K and my mechanic friend tells me the oil doesn't smell burnt. Before he digs into the problem further he said he would check around for more info... Anyone out there had similar problems ?

Thanks Dan

Reply to
dano

dano complained:

So, are you saying there's a problem?

Other than saying it's dark... you didnt mention anything else.

May I remind you that, unlike the AT fluid, a little PS fluid does a LOT of work.

You can flush it yourself by removing the return hose at the reservoir, plug res nipple, extend return hose, run into bucket while adding fresh.. until it's clear.. do not use cheap for the permanent fluid.

For peace of mind mount a small (2 feet or so) coil of suitable internal dia steel tubing in front of rad... run return to it and then back to reservoir, mount below res level

Book it, dano

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The power steering fluid on my 94 T-Bird and 98 Windstar look that way. Flushed both several time and they still look that way. The power steering works fine. So I don't think it an issue. Pat

Reply to
PATRICK T. DAVIDSON

Probably nothing to worry about if the vehicle steers OK. If you were having problems steering then I would suggest to look at it right away. Last October I needed new hoses after my 98 Windstar (45000km) developed a serious steering leak. It could not hold the fluid. Replaced hoses and now everything is OK.

Reply to
Cello