A4 Econ switch

Hi all
I have an '01 (new shape) A4 and just recently the Climate Control's ECON switch remains illuminated after I switch it off. I don't really care about the light - what I care about is that I can no longer switch
on Air Conditioning!
Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is it just a simple case of regassing the Air Con?
I have checked the newsgroup for similar postings and found some info (by Ronny) on accessing the climatic diagnostic controls for a 97 model which, I will try later.
There was also another thread where the author (MATT WILLIAMS) had the swith and software replaced and various other parts replaced - which is very concerning - I've only had the car since the begining of January!!
Cheers

Strange I didnt think the A4 97 model had an economy switch, you should have an "auto / aircon / recycle"
Maybe you have the 99.5+ aircon unit

woah soz, got my wires crossed, yeah you have a B6 with the dual climate.
I will have a look about, see if it's a common problem
Ronny, will the diagnostics info steps work for my cliamte control?

Nah it wont work on B6 climates, only on the B5 single display, you need to get a copy of vagcom and get the readings or contact your dealer and ask them.
I don't think its a common problem though, as I have had a bit of a search.
Ronny
Cheers Ronny - I tried it anyway and it didn't help :-(
I shall get in touch with the dealer and just hope they can fix it!