Airbag Light on '92 100CS

I had some recent work done on my '92 100CS, and upon my return to the shop, the mechanic told me that the red Airbag indicator lamp had started
activating intermitently. He was right, but now it comes on with every engine start and will stay lit for approximately 2 minutes, thereafter.
I'm willing to live with the light, as long as it continues to go out within a couple of minutes; however, I'm curious about what's really going on here.
1) Am I looking at a total airbag replacement, or a new charge/cartridge from the Audi dealership? If so, I'm certain the bill would be more than I am willing to pay!
2) Or perhaps it means a slightly less expensive trip to the Audi dealership (Ha-ha!) for diagnostics and a light "reset".
3) Or just maybe the best option for handling this, is a good pair of wire cutters... ;O)
Comments based on your experience

Normally the dealer can reset the warning light. Often at no cost at all.
Ronald.
You need to have the codes pulled. I had issues with the airbag light in my car and it turned out to be a passenger's side rear seat sensor. They had to replace the seatbelt unit in that seat and it's been fine since.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
Thanks to you both. It looks like a trip to the dealer is in order...

If it's the "2 minute warning" then it may be a case of resetting the airbag control unit. One my car, the 96 S6, which should have unit in same place, which is just behind the climate control unit in centre console. A VAG COM with K&L connector can reset this.
Tony 96 S6

Thanks very much, Tony. I'll keep that information in my "hip pocket"...
JT