Problems with 92 100cs

My 92 cs with 145000 on it is having two probably related problems. First the engine is running very poorly at idle. When accelerating there is a spot where it kicks in and start to run normally.(almost like a turbo)Replaced wires and plugs but not the oxygen sensors yet. Secondly the car is overheating. The needle will go to just past the middle but always come back to just after the second bar. Twice the car has release a good quart or more of antifreeze back through the resevoir. I have had the thermostat replaced and the fan switch.

I need help! Thanks in advance. Either email me or follow up posts.

Reply to
minichicago

Problems with 92 100csFor the first issue you might check all hoses for vacuum leaks. The O2 sensor replacement would be a good idea too - and check the idle stabilization valve. Overheating can be a number of things - from a clogged radiator (you are using the right coolant?), to a head gasket leak. For both issues - take the car out for a run for a while. Then pull the plugs and see what color they are - tan means a good mixture, black means over-rich and whitish deposits mean that there is a coolant leak into the engine. Do a compression test on the engine as well. A head gasket leak can also manifest itself in coolant in the oil (milky fluid noticed when changing oil) or oil in the coolant (seen in the reservoir). My '87 had a head gasket leak - oil in the coolant and whitish deposit on the rear plug gave it away. Another trick is to hold an inspection mirror over the spark plug hole after taking the car for a run - fog on the mirror=leak into the cylinder. Cheers!

Reply to
Steve Sears