Audi 100 2.5 TDI - So how many miles will she do?

Hi,
I have a 1992 Audi 100 2.5 TDI 6 speed.
Its covered 170K miles, and its due for its cam belts soon (ish)
Do I 1) Replace them and pay an arm and a leg or
2) See how long it lasts until it blows?
It's got f.s.h, and had a recent clutch and gearbox overhaul.
How many miles has yours covered??
Cheers Ad

223,000 but it's an auto so it may have had a gentler life. Possibly. Belt changed at 175,000 and due again shortly.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:04:36 +0100, Guy King wrote:

In my opinion - yes and yes.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."
Can the "cam belt" be replaced without removing the engine ?
The reason I ask is that the factory manual starts the replacement instructions with the statement, "with the engine removed".
Thanks to everyone for the kind advice,
Courtney
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:50:06 +0100, Guy King wrote:

Courtney, No, you can replace the belt with it in the car, it's just easier with it out of the car. You should replace the water pump and the front crank seal while you have the thing apart. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
contains these words:

Steve,
I've tried to write you off line but, even though I omit the SHOES, your email address still doesn't work.
Do you not accept personal email ?
Courtney
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:04:40 -0400, Steve Sears wrote:

We're talking about the straight-5, yes? In that case, yes, and quite easily. The Haynes manual tells you how.
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:11:09 +0100, Guy King wrote:

Buy,
Exactly which Haynes manual pertains to the '90 Audi Turbo 200, please ?
Thank you,
Courtney

No idea - I was talking about the Audi 100 2.5 TDI 5-cyl as mentioned in the subject!
--

Possibly this one... http://tinyurl.com/dopb9 (eBay uk auction, 5 hours left)
--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."
contains these words:

Get one of the factory manual CD on ebay, they have all the audis for the past 20 years and it's only a couple dollars.
cp
"" wrote:
> contains these words: > >> > >>> Can the "cam belt" be replaced without removing the engine > ? > >> > >> We're talking about the straight-5, yes? In that case, yes, > and quite > >> easily. The Haynes manual tells you how. > > > > Buy, > > > > Exactly which Haynes manual pertains to the '90 Audi Turbo > 200, please ? > > Get one of the factory manual CD on ebay, they have all the > audis for the past 20 years and it's only a couple dollars. > > cp
the procedure is the same on all petrol five pots whether a turbo or not and yes it can be done in the car, its really easy! any old haynes will do!

Change the belt at an independant and it shouldn't cost an arm and leg.
Get it done and keep enjoying the car.

Thanks for all the replies so far!!
Cheers Ad
<snip>

Adrian, just to follow up on what others have written, the procedure is basically the same for all of the in-line 5-cylinder engines. The 2460 cc diesel 5-cyl is good for many hundreds of thousands of miles, if properly looked after. But... (and it's a big "but") the cam belt does need changing at the right intervals, because if it breaks or slips, the pistons will hit the valves and you'll knacker the head. I see you're in the UK, so you'll need a decent belt for the "maximum revs" smoke test in the MOT anyway, so I'd be inclined to change it just before the MOT every two years.
Also be warned that the belt drives the water pump (water pumps seem to be one of the weak spots of many Audis) and if the pump seizes it'll take the belt with it. This actually happened to me last year on my A6 5-cyl diesel (basically the later version of your model) very shortly after a new belt had been fitted. The belt didn't actually break, but it stripped some of its teeth with expensive results. So I would change the belt and the pump at the same time. On the later 100/A6 you have to take half the front of the car off, so you may want to get someone else to do it. On earlier 5-cylinder models it's easier (I've actually done a cam belt on a 1997 model petrol 100) but the crankshaft nut can be "entertaining", to put it no higher. See numerous threads on this in Google.
In response to the question from another poster about the Haynes manual for a 200 Turbo, the manual number is 0907 (covers the petrol 100/200) and Haynes' website indicates they have it in stock. It doesn't include quattro aspects (come to think of it, I thought all 200s were quattro, BICBW) but it's a useful manual with far more information than some of their more recent stuff.
Regards
Jonathan