Audi A4 Timing belt install

I'm relaying this information second hand, so I hope I have the details correct.

A friend of mine has a 1999 or 98 (cant remember for the life of me) Audi A4

1.8L turbo. The timing belt is being replaced, but one of the cam sprockets does not have a mark or arrow or dot like the other cam for lining it up properly. Thus, the mechanic had to guess where it should be, and it wont start.

Anyone have a diagram of what the cam sprockets should be set at? The only reference he has is the keyway on the backside of the sprocket. The dealer can't get us a manual for a week.

Ryan.

Reply to
Ryan Lester

Not sure but on the 1.8 & 2.0 litre petrol 8 valve engines the camshaft sprocket has the mark on the back of the sprocket, this lines up with the top or the cylinder head, its possible to put your own marks on with say white paint, if the sprocket has been miss aligned & the engine cranked over there may be a possibility of engine damage just like if the belt had snapped!!

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

The belt did break, and the head had to be rebuilt (new valves). So, he is starting from scratch.

Reply to
Ryan Lester

I would agree on the markings..... There are two or three marks on the crank and valve cam. Most times on the back of the gear. You don't want to mess and get them wrong. You could be off a tooth and you'll get low power and have to get it fixed right at more $$$. The marks are VERY SPECIFIC. Did a belt once on a Mitishibi. Nightmare. No space. Took 4-5 hours.

The 3.0 V6 has a tim>

Reply to
Mike B.

The mark for the crankshaft gear is on the cover you have to remove in order to get at the timing belt. The sprocket you may be having trouble with is the intermediate shaft (in front of the water pump) and I don't believe that one matters at all since it doesn't drive any of the cams. The intake cams are driven by a chain off of the exhaust cam shaft so only the exhaust cam is driven directly by the timing belt.

Reply to
Charlie Giannetto