Audi100 '89: Timing belt and water pump replacement

Hi again,

I found the following description on the SJM pages:

However, he notes that this is for the following engines:

"10V Turbo MC Engine, 1991 200TQ 20V Turbo 3B Engine"

Are there any descriptions anywhere for normal (non-turbo) 5cyl engines as in an Audi100 1989 model or for the earlier Audi100/5k models? How different is the procedure to the one described on SJM?

Thanks,

Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Bollig

I have done this job on five or more T44 non-turbos. The job is basically the same as the turbo except that there are a few less coolant lines involved. Other than that the timing procedure is the same. Be sure you understand the timing process before starting. It is really quite easy but you need to be aware that the timing mark on the cam pulley is on the back, not of the front of the gear.

You will need to get the correct parts from Blaufergnugen, ECS or another on line source. They all will rent the special tools for the job. You WILL need the tools. Be sure to replace the water pump, idler pulley, front seal and antifreeze in the process. As long as the system is drained you should also replace the thermostat. Be sure to get the correct temperature range 87 degrees Celsius. Most places have 82 degrees and that it too cold and will cause running problems.

Tonyj .... same as the other one.

Plan > Hi again,

Reply to
Tony

Hi again,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I am actually not intending to do this myself. I have recently moved to Pretoria (South Africa) and looked around for garages. I found a guy who works from home and seems to be quite good. My intention is to print the section on SJM and give it to him, when he does the job. I assume he knows about the timing issues, but it's always good to have something in writing about the little things to look out for. Apparently he did his apprenticeship on these cars ~20 years ago, but I don't know how many of them he has done recently.

One more question: As far as I know, I can get genuine parts only from Audi over here. I have the choice to get third-party parts from the local parts shops or the Audi parts from Audi. I'm tempted to get the third-party parts. Or would this be a high risk?

BTW, the "idler pulley" is this the timing belt tensioner (or is it something else)? I was told I should get the timing belt, the tensioner and the water pump. No mention of an idler pulley or front seal.

Thanks again,

Christ> I have done this job on five or more T44 non-turbos. The job is basically the

Reply to
Christoph Bollig

If the third party parts are German manufactured I would trust them otherwise it might be a gamble and the Audi parts would be a better choice for this job.

The idler pulley is fixed. The adjustment for the belt tension is the water pump. It rotates in and eccentric.

It is a good idea to replace the fr> Hi again,

Reply to
Tony