Buying an Audi A4 need Advise

Hello Everybody, First of all I would like to thank you all for keeping up such a good website. I am thinking about buying an Audi A4, Since money is tight looking
for a used one, Upto 9-10K what do you suggest. Should I look for an 2.8 or a 1.8T, is A quattro really better than a FWD? What can be trouble spots I need to focus while buying a 98-2001 A4? I know its a lot to ask for but please fill me in as much as you can. I would highly appreciate it. Thanks
Instrument cluster lighting going dim? costly fix.
Timing belt and water pump changed recently?
Was the water pump changed to the metal impeller rather than the plastic one that breaks and then breaks the timing belt and then trashes the valves?
Have the control arms been replaced. They all begin to squeak and need replacing $$$.
My son has the 2.8 and loves it. I prefer the 1.8 for mileage and then chip it for fun.
quattro for sure.
Buying a Used Audi wrote:

Thank You tony, That was a a great advise, I actually looked at one today, a 1999, has 82K miles on it. He has changed the timing belt but never told me anything about the water pump. probably not changed , the control arms seemed fine. Around how many miles do you think the water pump has to be changed?

The water pump and tensioner should be replaced at the same time as the timing belt to save money (sounds odd eh?) To get to any of these components you have to remove the front of the car which amounts to a large labor charge. It is only a little more work to replace all the wear items at the same time... basically you are just paying for the parts and not the labor which is the real expense.

Instrument cluster lighting going dim? Just started on my 1997 A4.........one line gradually disappearing........hmmmmmm

As the previous poster suggests, check all those items have been done, also go for the quattro if you can.
What country are you in? 10k in uk will buy you a high millege B6 <new shape> 1.8T quattro.
2.8 is smooth as silk on the motorway, 1.8T is a bit harsher, but easily chipped to way beyond that of the 2.8 unless you add a supercharger <PES>
2.8 came in 12v and 30v, the 30v is more desirable as its faster, and smoother
I've had a V6 A4 and now a 1.8T and would say the 1.8T is the better of the 2 simply because its faster and more fun
Ronny
Thanx Ronny and Tony, I am in North america, looked at one today with 83K miles on it, he has the timing belt replaced but not anything else, all services done by the Audi dealer. The car is a 99 but has the interior of 2000( thats what he said, I dont know what that means) Automatic with triptonic. 1.8T Quattro. With the sport package. Asking for 9900 may be will give for 9K. New Michelin tires. Silver with black leather, bose system with CD changer. What do you guys think?

Seems cheap, specially for a leather and 1.8T quattro, see if its a 99.5 model, it will have clear headlight lenses, and the badge will be on the bootlid lower down, in line with the number plate,
If so, looks like you got a bargain :)
Hi ron. First of all I would like to thank you and everybody else who put time and gave me good advise about buying an Audi. I am new to this world:) The Audi world. I just got an 2001 A4, which was actually a lot more nicer with all the service records from Audi dealership. The car has almost 80K miles on it but its very very clean and nice looking, It still has the new car smell. The timing belt has not been replaced I need to do that soon. It also has the black leather but no sport package. It does have the three spoke steering wheels etc. I got this one for 10K. I am very pleased about it. Thank you all once again.
Good price for a 2001. Where are you located?

It is located in washington DC
It is located in washington DC
Hopefully he changed the tensioner at the same time as the timing belt, as it is usually the tensioner that fails, taking the timing belt and top of the engine with it.