choices, choices, choices: manual vs automatic in 2003 A6

I typically get a manual tranny since where I live roads are not terribly congested most of the time (yet). How well does the stick shifts on 2003 A6 (quattro)? Is the engagement
crisp and precise or there is any rubbery detached feeling to it? Is it 5 or 6sp?
What does automatic have going for it in that particular car?