Dash Computer Display

Hoping someone can help with this one:
1989 200TQ. I went to replace some burnt bulbs, expecting to find both the daytime and nighttime bulbs for the OBC (bar, Mi, G, MPG, MPH
displays) burnt out. Low and behold, no bulbs, only a pair of little paper adhesive backed discs covering the sockets. I would very much like to have access to the information the computer displays at night (I can see it during the day, bulb or not). I peeled off the circles and put in the 1.2w pulbs specified in the Bentley. It calls for red bulbs I believe, but I'm putting in white. To make them red is just a plastic sleeve anyway. Is something missing in there? How can I get this going?
As luck would have it, now my digital clock display doesn't shine at night.
Thanks!
Bill Graham
Bill, huh. I guess they fixed the burned out bulbs like I did for the "ABS OFF" light on my dash - remove&cover (I used electrical tape - which will prolly fall off in time). In my '87 the bulbs are all clear bulbs - the red/orange colour is from the "Light conductors" (like on the speedometer needle) and the colour of the lens (ie - the rear defrost symbol on the switch). Try just regular clear bulbs and see what the result is - the clock is illuminated in a similar way. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

Thanks Steve.
Bulb color is not the issue, it's that NO bulbs we ever in this area. It's been proposed that a previous owner might have replaced the instrument panel before, but with one that was not to illuminate this area. It's "supposed" to be lit, but this panel evidently can't be lit. I'm annoyed by the whole thing. I'm headed towards the 1.8 bar of boost ECU/Wastegate upgrade and I want to be able to monitor boost levels at night.
Thanks,
Bill
1989 200TQ

Bill, Just to be sure, you have a manual transmission, right? You might consider getting a boost gauge ($$$ - Autometer, there are cheaper ones though) and install it in the place of any missing switches in the console near the rear defrost switch. You'll find that the in-dash one is not very responsive. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - 1.8 bar QLCC and Charlie Spring in, boost gauge and bypass valve soon to be installed. 1980 Audi 5k - boost? wha? 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - 4 strokes? wha? (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)