Difference b/w 2.8 and 2.6 AND replacing brake pads!

Hi everyone, sorry if this is a silly newbie question, but I'm experiencing a couple issues with my 1995 A6 2.6L FWD (and Right-hand drive).
Recently the
brake pad warning indicator came on, so I went looking for replacement front brake pads. All local (in Australia) autoparts places quoted anywhere from AU$140-$400 for the front brake pad set, but a couple US autoparts sites are selling them (with sensors) for between US$70-$80.
The only thing is that they are all for a 2.8L Audi A6 1995, not a 2.6... so here are my questions!!
1. is the 2.8 just an American version of the 2.6 Australian version? 2. Will these brake pads still work on my Australian version?? 3. one of the manufacturers is PBR, which is an Australian company (based in Victoria)... so does anyone know a Sydney supplier with reasonable prices?? (I've emailed the sales office, but they're all on holidays at the moment!)
Thanks in advance,
Sam.

The 2.6 and 2.8 were separate models (both available in the UK anyway) but according to a UK supplier I have used, the brake pads are the same on both. I have used EBC pads in the past and have been happy with their performance. In the UK a full front/rear set is around 50 (A$125) delivered or you can get the higher performance EBC Greenstuff pads for about 120 (A$300)
EBC part nos are
Standard Front DP386 Rear DP370
Upgraded performance (EBC Greenstuff) Front DP2386 Rear DP2370
I would think that there isn't much/any mechanical difference between an Australian A6 and a UK A6 since they're both RHD.
HTH Dave