replacing wheel after replacing brake pads

I just replaced my front brake pads on a '96 SL1. After screwing the calipers in place, I noticed they now stick out away from the car and there is not enough room to put the wheels back on. I pressed the brake a few times (the first press was just air) and the problem is still there. Any hints?

Meph

Reply to
Mephistopheles Jones

Remove and reinstall the calipers -- this time, correctly. Clearly, you didn't get them on properly the first time. It's kinda hard to see from here exactly where you made a mistake, but it is pretty clear that you did. Do you have a service manual with a diagram that shows what it's supposed to look like? If not, let me know -- I have a full set of '96 factory service manuals, and I can scan a few pages and email them to you if you need.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Actually the problem was simple. I was trying to put the wheels on backwards! Both of them! (I was in a rush to get to work, which might explain the mental lapse, but to make matters worse, I had to steal the wife's car for today. Oops!

Reply to
Meph