Electric Windows Delay before working

I have an Audi 80 tdi (1995) and it has power (electric) front windows. The windows will not open (or close if left open) for a random time (anything up to 4 minutes) after starting the car. Then they work fine. The fault is present regardless of which switch I try to use (driver or passenger). If I wait long enough it works (so far). After turning ignition off and removing the key, the windows still work until a door is opened (as you would expect). If I immediately restart the car I can also use them but the issue seems to present when the car has been left for a few hours (or more). Any pointers or indications on how the system works and what might be going wrong would be welcome.

Reply to
fix.a.fix

Had a similar problem on 1995 90. Turned out to be the relay under the dash.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks! I'll check it out. :-)

Reply to
fix.a.fix

i have had a similar problem with my cabriolet and had an auto tech out to fix it. he took out the relay 362 i think it was. black with about 12 pins. he carefully opened the relay and found a dry connection on one of the solder points between two pins. if you know what a dry connection is it appears that the copper foil on trhe circuit board has broken down and caused a reduced electrican connection. i think because you describe the time for the windows to start working may be that it takes that long for the fine metal to expand causing a contact to occur as the contact becomes less due to corrosion more current is needed to pass over the connection thus causing more damage until eventually it is destroyed. once he found this as the cause he simply arced a small amount of solder across the two pins and tried it.this worked so he completed the job with a small strip of wire to make sure it wouldnt happen again the relay costs around 175 from audi so the 50 quid i paid was all the more worthy. i suggest you take out the relay and be careful with it when opening. slipping a fine flat screw driver at the base of the relay should pop off the outer casing and look for any sign of corrosion around the soldering. if there is then this is surely the cause hope this helps you mick

Reply to
micktuggy

Thanks! What a fantastically useful post! :-)

Reply to
fix.a.fix

Actually had the very same experience as Micktuggy just a moth ago. They were working as you described and then, the day I had to drive 1200 Km, they stopped working while open. It was a Sunday so no garage was open. On Monday a nice dealer short circuited the relay and closed the windows so we could drive home.

At home I opened the relay box and found a dry connection and fixed the problem in a minute.

It must be a real serial product since they appear all to work fine for 10 or more years!

Ronald

Reply to
reply