Need Brakes - Dealer or Other

The Brake Pad Indicator on my '99 A6 just went on.
I've been bringing it to the dealer for most eveything from $100+ oil changes (ouch) to $1800 preventative timing chain R&Rs. There's a 90K
mile tune up coming soon too (the car has 87K miles on it).
Anyway, I'm thinking about starting to *not* go to the dealer for everything. Any thoughts on having the brakes done elsewhere (in my case, I'd be bringing it to the AAA-owned AutoMark Center - I trust them with my other vehicles).
Thanks in advance for your valued opinions.
...Mike
...Mike wrote:

Unless it's a warranty/recall issue, DON'T EVER take it to a dealer.
E.P.
...Mike wrote:

Using an independent is just fine but you should ask the AutoMark what experience they have with Audi. If not I would recommend checking with other Audi owners int he area to find an independent that is experienced with Audi and has a good reputation.
On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 11:48:33 -0500, ...Mike wrote:

I always take my car for the schedule maintenance. Nothing beats have it done by the Dealership when time comes to sell it. As for the breaks. I would suggest only buying OEM breaks. You just can't go wrong and you can most likely find a cheap set on-line. Changing breaks should not be that big a deal and I would think any shop could handle it.
--

Regards
Robert
Robert wrote:

If you can't properly spell 'brakes' even when the message to which you're replying has it quoted right in front of you, you should not be offering advice on how to replace them. Even more so when you haven't a clue what you're talking about. There are plenty of aftermarket brake pads ranging from equivalent to much better than, OEM. -- C.R. Krieger Been there; done that.
C.R. Krieger wrote:

Curmudgeon.
:P
E.P.
On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:55:52 -0800, Ed Pirrero wrote:

He is not worthy of a reply. He is most likely still trying to figure out what this word means.
--

Regards
Robert
Robert wrote:

The joke's on you, actually.
He knows EXACTLY what the word means, and he is a long-time contributor to a.a.audi.
I happen to agree completely with his assessment.
E.P.
1995 UrS6
Ed Pirrero wrote:

Thank you, EP. You also know I am not satire-impaired and I am, in fact, *honored* to be termed a curmudgeon by the likes of you. =;^) -- C.R. Krieger (Usually a Smartass, but a Curmudgeon today)
Just to finish the thread,
I *did* wind up taking it to the AAA-owned AutoMark. I felt very comfortable when I left there at $702 for new brakes/rotors all around.
The car feels great (as I would expect) - time will tell, but my comfort level is high.
Thanks for all the input...
...Mike
...Mike wrote:

...Mike wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what parts were included in that price?
Thanks,
E.P.
Hi Ed,
It was rotors and pads, all around.
...Mike
Ed Pirrero wrote:

[top-post fixed]
...Mike wrote:

Thanks, Mike.
I guess I'd be more comfortable too, driving on a thinner wallet.
Ouch.
E.P.