prop shaft seal on a 2000 A6

Hi all, I had my 67500 service and a couple of recalls done today. While it was on the rack being tortured they tech found the "prop shaft seal"
leaking. The advisor came out to break the news and I kind of laughed. airplane and boats have prop shaft seals not cars. Well I asked to see the car and sure enough the seal at the back of transmission/transfer case was leaking and had been for a while.
Has anyone else seen this? this is the first vehicle that I have owed that has ever had a leak in or around the transmission. Michelle
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 23:36:56 GMT, Michelle P

My 2000 A6 4.2 with Tiptronic had a transmission seal leak. I noticed the drips on a spotless garage floor and took it to the dealer as soon as I could. It was covered under warranty, but would have cost me about $250 otherwise.
Dave 03 RS6
Mine was out of warranty and cost me $450. Michelle