Replacement fuel tank for 4000Q?

Hello all!

Does anyone know of an online source for a new (not used) fuel tank for a 4000 Quattro? I spent some time Googling, but all I can find is people selling gas caps.

TIA!

Eric Law

Reply to
EL

An online dealer?

4000 Quattro? I spent some time Googling, but all I can
Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Quattro? I spent some time Googling, but all I can

I think that's a dealer only part. What's wrong with a good used one?

-jim

Reply to
Jim

Why bother with new? The thing's in the trunk behind the seat, totally protected, and I can't imagine many of them have deteriorated very much (what happened to the one you're replacing?). Try Shokan Audi parts.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; never touched one)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

4000 Quattro? I spent some time Googling, but all I can

Have you pulled the tank out of the car and had a good look at it? I recently had a radiator shop fix the tank on my 4000 -- some pinholes had developed in the fitting that feeds the fuel pump. The tank looked fine otherwise, inside and out..

The shop soldered up the pinholes and tinned the fittings thoroughly with solder. Problem solved for less than $50.

RM

Reply to
Russ Maki

Sigh... would that it were that simple. My problem is the opposite - rust inside the tank. Except that it doesn't *stay* inside the tank, when you start the car it gets loose and clogs the fuel pre-filter and the car stops running after a couple of minutes!

I moved from MA to southern FL about 2 years ago, and since then the car has spent 99% of it's time stored outside with a non-full fuel tank (yeah, I know, my bad). The weather here is so humid there's dew on the car 19 mornings out of 20, and I suspect the same has been going on inside the tank.

I'm toying with the idea of sending it to one of those places that will clean it up and apply some sort of rubber/plastic coating to the interior, but I'm a little suspicious of how that will hold up long-term.

Eric Law

Reply to
EL

inside the tank. Except that it doesn't *stay* inside

pre-filter and the car stops running after a couple of minutes!

has spent 99% of it's time stored outside with a non-full

dew on the car 19 mornings out of 20, and I suspect the

clean it up and apply some sort of rubber/plastic coating

Sorry to hear that. If the tank doesn't leak you might get away with having it cleaned and coated. Otherwise, you could do a search on

and see what in the used market turns up inFlorida -- or, at least, in the Southeast. Russ

Reply to
Russ Maki

EL, If you're toying with the idea of re-lining the tank, and do some DIY on the car, then you might also consider using POR-15 on the tank - they have tank sealer kits for Bikes and Cars - I used one for my DKW and had excellent results (just follow their instructions to the letter....and don't get any on your skin - you'll have to wear it off).

If you want testimonials - just go to a car cruise in your area. Chances are there is somebody there who has used the stuff. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears