Sqeezing the most out of dealers on a 2006 A3

I am in the market for an A3 and have contacted 5 or 6 dealers via Edmunds.com. With the 2007 models already in the dealerships, dealers seem to be willing to bend on the price. Most are offering the 2006
models around Invoice + $500, which is a $1500-2000 saving over MSRP. Is that a good deal, or should I press them more?
On a semi-related note, where can I find reports on the A3's reliability? Is it better than the notorius VW?
"Andrei Outkine" wrote

When I ordered my A4 back in 2001, it was about $600 over invoice, but that was in May, so the 2002s weren't at the dealerships yet. Depending on how popular a configuration that A3 is, you may or may not be able to haggle down further.

It's too new to have any meaningful reliability stats. Maybe some European sites will have something, but even they will most likely refer to the previous, older A3 platform.

Well, the A3 is made in Germany as opposed to Beetle and Jetta that are made in Mexico. But still, a lot of the components/parts are the same and come from the same manufacturers, so I wouldn't expect a huge difference in terms of reliability.
Cheers,
Pete
Don't know about A3 prices, but for write ups try What Car.

Andrei Outkine wrote:

Since you don't say what model or options you're interested in, it's hard to compare web sites, but when I purchased my A4 back in the fall of 2003 I got a very good price off carsdirect.com and took that to my local dealer. They would not match it initially, so I walked out, telling them that I would be happy to purchase from the dealer that is in the carsdirect.com network (which I would have but it was a lot farther from my home). I was sitting in my car and the salesman came running out to tell me they WOULD match the price after all. So, check carsdirect.com for a price. You can also purchase from a dealer in their network or directly from them. I think their pricing is more realistic than others, because you can actually buy a car from them for that price.
NFI etc.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Carsdirect.com no longer has the option to buy from them available for every car. Instead, they give you a "target price" and the option to get a free dealer quote on many makes. For some makes, they still have the "carsdirect price" I think it all depends on your geographical location.
iws wrote:

That's too bad, that was a nice tool to have available. 'Target price' is the same as Edmund's TMV, just a bs price really. I got my A4 for a little under $3k off MSRP.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA