Turbo 'whining'?

All,
On cold startup, but still happens sometimes when engine fairly warm, I get a whine when the engine is pushed - I guess from the turbo.
Is this a fault - do not remember it happening before?
Audi A4 1.8t Sports - 1997, 70k, FSH
Alex

get
Prob not the turbo, but the Serpentine belt, mine makes a noise only on cold mornings, started 3 days ago in the uk, and have to put up with now untill summer :)
above 10c its fine
Ron