2001 Inrepid Whining When Cold

My 2001 Inrepid SE makes a new cold weather high pitched whining sound that eventually disappears once the engine warms up. The pitch of the noise increases and decreases with engine speed. Also seems to be there whether the car is in gear or neutral. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply to
Brad

Probably power steering pump. You might try flushing and re-filling with ATF+4 (and - yes - it is the right fluid to use for re-fill).

Bill Putney

Thnks Bill. I'll give that a try.

Reply to
Brad

You're welcome!

After I posted, I thought that maybe it could also be one of the idler pulley bearings for the accessory belt tensioners (there are two belts, two tensioners). But probably power steering pump.

Bill Putney

possible vac. leak through a degrading vac. hose??

Brad wrote:

Reply to
philthy

I had a similar problem with my 97 Intrepid. After a while, it wouldn't go away ever... Turned out to be the AC clutch. Cut off the AC belt, and the noise went away.

Reply to
IckyBob