Turbo stall on Diesel engine

As subject.

What could be causing Turbo Stall on a Ford Endura DE engine.

170,000 miles, cambelts done at 135,000, accessory belt done recently, full service only last week and coolant flushed and changed.

I'm using standard "out of the pump" diesel and the car is performing normally in all other respects.

The stall normally happens in 2nd or 3rd gear at about 2600rpm, the turbo Whine stops for a moment as the engine coughs, then catches up and continues its normal work.

I'm assuming the stall causes the cough, and not vice versa...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

As the turbo is driven by the engine exhaust gases, I'd say it was the other way around.

Reply to
Conor

Turbo stall occurs when the throttle is closed, and blocks the air from exiting the turbo, thus stalling it.

as a diesel is not fitted with a throttle plate, no turbo stall occurs on a diesel engine.

Reply to
SimonJ

It could be overboosting and getting shut off maybe? I'm not familiar with Ford diesels, but VAG TDI engines with a VNT turbo will exhibit this, and log a fault code- 'overboost detected'.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yeah, that makes sence.

So, on a normaly well-behaved vehicle, what could be causing that? I'm guessing either fuel injector issues or fuel starvation for a different reason?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

You havent got an intake hose sucking flat have you?

AFAIK the DE doesnt use a vacuum operated throttle valve, but if it does check it.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

IIRC it is actually possible to stall a turbo without shutting the throttle, by mismatching the turbo to the engine - turbo spools and effectively over-produces boost, falling outside its efficiency range and stalling the turbine until the engine catches up and devours enough air. I'm not totally up to speed on my fluids but i did have it explained to me at some point in the past.

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

Does the turbo have a waste gate which is vacuum operated? If so is the vacuum control solenoid working properly, and are the vacuum hoses in good order? If the waste gate is not opening when it should you could get an overboost as stated above.

Reply to
Brian

Nope, but I do have a rusty line to the injector at Cylinder 1. I wonder i there's a pinprick in it?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

You'll see the fuel wetting it if there is.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well, a Fuel Filter change, a one shot Redex in 1/4 tank and 130 hard miles seems to have resolved it.

Reply to
Paul Cummins