What ATF oil is suitable for Audi A6 2.4 2002 Multitronic transmission

What standard(s) has ATF oil to comply with to be suitable for Multitronic transmission? What brands are suitable (Mobil, Exxon, Shell) ? One car spare-parts dealer just pointed me the Audi service :) They couldn't help, just said the they have some special ATF oil.

Regards,

Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

I'm not sure why you are adding / changing the trans fluid as it is supposed to be lifetime. Still, if you are high mileage a change is a good idea.

My son mistakenly drained his Tip trans when intending to change the engine oil.

We were not willing to risk an after market claimed 'special oil' so bought the 'liquid gold' from the dealer. You also need to be able to pump the oil up into the 'drain plug' with the 17 mm allen in the bottom / pan of the trans to fill it. The oil needs to be pumped up over a wall or barrier.

The next issue is to guess how much you needs to fill given the absence of a trans oil dip stick. Best is to measure how much is taken out and then replace the same amount. After subsequent driving you can then use a VAG - COM software to interrogate the error codes to see how it is reacting to the refill and add or remove oil until it is happy.

TonyJ

98.5 A4 1.8tqm APR S> What standard(s) has ATF oil to comply with to be suitable for Multitronic
Reply to
Tony

Thanks for your tips, Tony. I have actually no plans to change the oil by myself, but take it to some service. I am just curious if there are ATF other than VW-Audi brand that can be used.

What comes to the changing the ATF, even the service manual and seom check lists show that ATF can be changed for Multitronic in 60.000 km intervals. Of course, it is additional service you need to pay for. But if it is listed there, and would not consider it being a life-time oile there :) Better to change than cry later.

Regards, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen