Multitronic

I just received my new A4 1.8T 3 days ago. It's equipped with a Multitronic gearbox.

I've read in the manual that because of the transmission (no differential lock), when starting from a complete stop on an UPHILL you should use the parking brake in order to avoid the car giong backward.

I've noticed this is extremely noticeable. The car needs maybe 2-3 seconds of throttle in order to start moving forward, and if brake is not applied during that time (and released gradually) the car will go back for a couple of meters.

I've been driving automatic transmissions for many years, and this is (on uphills) worst than a manual.

Also, I have noticed that even starting from zero in a flat surface, the car is not very responsive (I think it's the combination of the turbo lag and the multitronic. Once the car is going I have no complains about it responsiveness or the transmission.

I'd like to ask if this is the normal behavior (because of what the manual says) and I just have to get used to that or if it is a defect in my car and it shouldn't be noticeable?

Thanks.

Reply to
Pablo Rodriguez

I test drove the multitronic and this 'lag' or 'thinking second' was exactly what made me not buying it.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

I have only driven with multitronic for a few days (loan cars). I was quite impressed.

I don't remember any "lag" problem, but I did tend drive it like a manual.

-- Doug Ramage

Reply to
Doug Ramage

I have a multitronic 2.4 A4 (UK spec) and whilst my car does not roll back on a hill as you suggest it does need quite a bit of throttle to get moving on an incline - obviously it depends on the steepness but I would not say it's behaviour is significantly worse or different to a normal automatic gearbox.

Regarding the responsiveness I think I know what you mean - it does not move immediately on set off but the lag in my case is maybe a quarter of a second or so that's all then it pulls really strong. I think as you suggest the lag you are experiencing may be partly the transmission and partly turbo lag - although our cars have similar power and torque figures I don't have to wait for the turbo to spin up but I bet your car has fantastic midrange power once it is rolling. If I want to get away really fast I use the tiptronic mode then there is no noticeable lag at all.

I think it may be a case of you getting used to it I don't think there is anything wrong with your car..

Reply to
Westy

I dunno, I test drove an A6 3.0 w/Multitronic and it didn't hesitate at all. I was pretty impressed with the responsiveness, actually, given only 220 hp in such a large car. Admittedly, I did not drive on any steep hills.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I have an A4 3.0 with the multitronic. I've never noticed a lag or it rolling back on hills... but I guess it depends on how steep the grade is. You may be experiencing a bit of turbo lag-- you could always try the tiptronic mode if you think it helps, but you might want to have it checked-out to be sure you have no other problems.

Reply to
Jay Jones