Why is the Brake pedal higher than the Gas pedal

I notice it every time I drive my 2004 A4Q after a long time. All other cars seem to have equal height for both Gas and Brake pedal in resting position. Is this normal, can the height be adjusted, Audi
expert users please comment.
I am posting a question for the first time on the board. I sincerely appreciate the advice from all the members. I have been reading the posts for almost a year now, and they are very very helpful.
On Aug 1, 8:48 am, anirudh snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I think in Audi's case, it may have something to do with the whole ridiculous 'unintended acceleration' fiasco of the '80's, where people were stomping on the gas instead of the brake. I think they consciously have them on a different plane to help prevent this.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Dano58 wrote:

Well, if the brake pedal is not higher than the gas pedal, you can't properly do a heel/toe downshift while braking into a turn...
Steve

My 97 Civic HX had a taller gas pedal. You could press the gas pedal while braking by rolling your foot a little bit.
"Steve Thompson" wrote

But the inability to execute a proper heel/toe does not land you in a lawsuit. I think Dan is right that they did this to make the car more fool-proof.
Pete
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Pete wrote:

No doubt about that; I am certainly not arguing that point.
Steve
anirudh snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Quite common on Fords/Vauxhalls as well. At least, on the models I owned it was.
anirudh snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I hate the raised brake pedal too. My seat is adjusted for the gas pedal. I'm pressing the brake pedal on the side edge to avoid having to shift my leg.
I once got in an accident in a car having a raised brake pedal. The edge of my shoe caught on the side of the brake pedal as I quickly lifted off the gas. The extra second it took to recover resulted in bumping the car ahead of me.
Next time I have a few free hours I'll take a closer look at the mechanics down there. The brake on the A3 3.2 has a long travel so I doubt it can be adjusted. Maybe the gas pedal can be moved.