2001 E46 rain leak @ top of back window

After a hard rain, my headliner is wet at the top of the back window above the third brake light. I ran a strip of electrical tape across the entire top of the back window seal overlapping onto the roof, but the leak is still there. It leaks even if the car is stationary, and drips down onto the back seat between the rear headrests. I've found lots of posts about water ending up on the floor from drains drom the sunroof, but nothing about the rear window. Is there anything like a drain tube behind the headliner? I've been told that to reseal the window, it would have to be removed and probably break the glass, Any siuggestions?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David

Do you have a sun roof?

Do you suppose water could be getting in at the back of the sun roof and running down to the 3rd Brake Light?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Unless the rear window has been replaced in the past, I would not suspect it is leaking now. The factory equipment that does this operation works very well, that is, the automobile industry has been installing windows for a very long time, and they have a good idea on how to do it so windows don't leak.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I bought this car used, but when the BMW dealer called up the service history, it showed that the window had been resealed under warranty at a BMW dealer in St. Louis. The car does have a sunroof, but the wet area is only at the area of the third brake light, all the way to the back. So if the leak is not at the rear window, it would have to run along something inside the headliner all that way.

I've also noticed that some e46's have a little antenna mounted right where the leak seems to be. I thought maybe there a predrilled hole for a cable that is supposed to be plugged and isn't, but I didn't want to try to open the third brake light cover until it has dried out.

Reply to
David

Hi guys,

Every factory installed sunfoor has 4 draintubes, at each corner of the suroof casett. If you have a leak under the headline the only way to find out where and why is to remove the headliner. That take about 45 minutes at a Webasto H700 sunroofinstaller. The know how to take it out and install it again.

In Europe companys like Carglass use a high frequency devise to check gleud windows for leaks.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Racefotos.nl Erik van der Schaaff Winde 109

3892 HD Zeewolde
Reply to
Erik

I will try spraying some water around the sunroof at each corner to see whether the drain leaks. I removed the cover for the third brake light but wasn't able to see past the headliner.

Dank u zeer! (I hope that's right).

David

Reply to
David

"David" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Great start, but try to work from under the car Look for the drainpipes at each of the rear corners and feed a 1mm2 electronicswire through it. This will push the blokkage up into the sunroof casette.

Graag gedaan (your welcome)

Met vriendelijke groet,

Racefotos.nl Erik van der Schaaff Winde 109

3892 HD Zeewolde
Reply to
Erik

Had a similar problem on a old 1974 Ford Granada (UK) and a 1976 E3 BMW 3.3Lia. Both cases involved water on the floor at the front passenger side (left).

I used a piece of curtain wire - plastic coated - to push down the drain tubes - all 4 - and you would be amazed at the s**te that came out.

I know space is limited but I really think the tubes are too small.

Reply to
hsg

Well, it sounds like you do not have a leak from the sunroof.

Having said that, if you slide the sunshade open, there are 3 small Torx screws on each side that adjust the window on the drive mechanism. The sunshade sliders are a bit problematic -- they are known to break -- and to replace them, one must remove the glass panel (the part held in by the aforementioned Torx screws), and if the panel is not raised well in the opening, it will leak.

I replaced the sliders on my daughter's car, and we had trouble with leaks at the car wash. I recall that our leak may have been a bit different than the one you are having -- our roof was leaking in the immediate vicinity of the roof opening.

Just a thought ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland