rain water leak

Hello, I have a rain water leak - drips to the right of accelerator pedal but cannot see obvious source without stripping dash. Any ideas on likely source? No obvious breach of windsceen seal - is there a path from engine compartment? thanks, Bob

Reply to
bobd

In message , bobd wrote

Water leaking into the passenger footwell is usually as a result of a badly fitted pollen/cabin filter cover - especially if the car has recently been serviced at a dealer. If there is a small leak then the water may migrate to the driver's side. The pollen/cabin filter cover forms part of the bottom windscreen/windshield seal on the passenger side.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Alan wrote

See also

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have a problem sort of similar, however it mystifies me nonetheless. I bought the car and it didn't have a cabin air filter installed. I just recently noticed while opening the "holder" up near the dash on the passenger side. So I thought, why wouldn't I have a cabin air filter installed? So I bought one and put it in. It didn't fit extremely well despite the dealership telling me three times that it was the right one, and I put it in anyways, it doesn't fit very well, but the top closes on the holder and I thought, sure, better than an empty cabin filter.

About a month later, I found extreme wetness on the floor of the passenger side.

Do you think that the cabin filter is to blame there? It was the first time I had ever removed that shield from beneath the hood/near the windshield.

Thanks, Megan

Reply to
mkhines

Megan,

I had to figure it out myself on my Focus.. I had the same problem. You were on the right track. The plastic housing that holds the filter is attached to the inlet to the fan. The problem is the perimeter of the mating surfaces are not making a good seal. Mine was actually mis-aligned from the factory (had to be) and was not properly seated. Here's how to check it. Take off the shield again and remove the filter. Pour in about 2-3 cups of water in the area around the filter housing and see if any water leaks inside. You can check by looking down inside while you pour the water. The second I did that, I found the problem!

Let me know if you need any more info!

Hans

Reply to
hansdekkers