325xi '02 Power window regulator

About a week back.. I heard a big click sound while rolling down the power window on the front passenger side. it did roll down but only half way and never rolled back up.

Yesterday, one of my friends sitting on the rear right side of my car discovered that now the rear right side of the window isnt rolling up either.

So, my 02 325xi for some reason has both front and rear right side of the windows not functioning. I dont know if its a co-incidence or whatevr.

I called the dealer and he scheduled me 8 days from now. ( EIGHT DAYS!!!!!......I dont believe this.) I cant even lock my car right now the rear window is all the way down. I asked me if he could give me a higher priority coz I needed to atleast be able to lock my car but NOPE its a first come first serve policy. (what BS!! )

The problem on both the windows seems to be the regulator, not an electric issue. I hear a grinding sound when I try to operate it, but the window doesnt roll up.

Dealer quotes : $350/each for the front and rear . Parts and installation.

Private Party X: $421.78 both front and read. Parts and Installation.

Private Party Y: $193.37 Front, $205 Rear. Parts and Installation.

Private Party Y also mentioned that he has fixed the exact same issue on atleast 5 bimmers in the last 15 days. I dont understand that. Bimmers have that crappy regulators???? according to him yes.

Questions:

  1. Is window regulator failing common issue on bimmers?? particularly in my case when two windows failed together, has anybody seen it?

  1. The estimates/quotes by the 3 different people above make sense to the group here?? Do you guys agree with the numbers?

  2. Is it actually a regulator issue or could be something else?

This is my first bimmer and I just love it (except when it misbehaves like irght now). I am concerned about the reliability of bimmers in general. I have experienced few more issues with my car in the last 8 months. But checking some ratings on reliability on auto.msn.com, gives me some confidence that it may not be all that bad. So is it just MY ride??

I'd appreciate any inputs/thoughts/comments.

Thanks group, in advance.

SD BMW325xi 2002 Boise, ID

Reply to
mabimmer

I got the above issue fixed today by shelling out $400 for front and rear right regulators. The mechanic says its a design flaw. He's been seeing these fail a lot. \

I was expecting some replies from the auto gurus in the group.

Reply to
mabimmer

wrote

We don't all have problems with window regulators, and many do not have recent models. Given that, if you had googled "bmw window regulator" you would indeed have noticed that they are a known trouble item on virtually all recent BMWs.

Often, a better place to ask questions is on Roadfly:

However, rememberthat *ALL* replies, both here and there are strictly voluntary: we'renot here to give you instant personalized service. FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I don't know about anynone else, but I'm sure getting tired of replacing them. Our Accord (180K+ miles now) has its original power window regulators. My wife's E46 325i is starting on its second set at 68K miles.

The plastic clips break loose from the metal tabs attached to the cables. Poor design. If someone made a replacement metal tab or offered rebuilt regulators with all-metal parts I'd buy two sets (one for each car) and install them so I could be done with it.

JRE

Reply to
JRE

I thought I had 8 days to compose an articulate response. Who knew?

Reply to
joe_tide

well.. I appreciate the reply and the roadfly link. n I do know replies are Voluntary.

Reply to
mabimmer

Not to mention the plastic sunroof shade slide clips!! Please, someone, make some aftermarket metal ones.

Reply to
Bob Smitter

wrote

This isn't text messaging - spell out the words.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I suspect neither BMW nor MB make their own regulators. Someplace, presumably in Germany there is a window regulator company that has a lot to answer for.

Scrap yards are full of cars that have good regulators. Stock up while you can, for these are, for better or worse, a throwaway consumable item apparanly.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Flames are, of course, involuntary and immediate. You new to usenet? :-)

Reply to
Richard Sexton