Power Window Regulator

'87 Vanagon Camper

The passenger side power window won't go down more that 2-3 inches. It doesn't seem to be the switch as it's the same using with the drivers or passengers switches (actually it's a button for up and down).

I have taken off the inside cover off the door and greased the guide or slide so that the window goes up and down manualy but the electric motor still won't pull it up or down more that a couple of inches.

So my question is:

Is this a problem with the electric motor that drives the window up and down? or is it the regulator or both?

Are there any diagrams on the net of this? Bentley doesn't do a very good job of diagraming this.

Are these power window motors or regulators for this model interchangeable with other VW products that I might find in the boneyard? e.g Jetta, Golf. etc. or are these electric motors repairable?

Any other solutions besides buying something new from the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Wray

Reply to
Wray McDonnell

Wish I could be specific on that make/model, but no experience there. Do know I picked up power window motors from Advance Auto Parts, and replaced 2 old ones on a 94 Chevy Blazer. If the door trim does not use screws only, it uses plastic retainers that must be replaced after each trim removal. If the backing material on the interior trim material is that crappy cork board like in my 88 Fox, it will eventually give way. The symptoms were the same. The windows would roll down just a bit, then stop. I would have wait a bit until I could attempt to switch to the up position, sometimes had to assist the windows up. Not sure about your regulator and motor setup. A bench vice came in handy in swapping out the motors to the regulators. The connecting hardware were rivets, I replaced with steel small bolts/nuts/lock washers, paying attention to the clearance requirements of the motor/regulator/window inside the door frame.

Even on American made cars with commonly replaced window motors, the information area on this seems little. The few newsgroups I posed similar questions on the Blazer results were few, inaccurate. Was a big hands on learning process for me.

Reply to
Jonny