330d Starting Problems

Hi there,
I have had some intermittent problems with my E46 330d not starting, which have recently been getting worse. It seems to turnover fine but
does not fire.
Initial thoughts were fuel filter (which has since been replaced as part of the Inspection 1 service) and crank shaft timing sensor amongst other things?
I have tried to get a computer on it to see what the EMS has logged but it is saying that it cant connect and it also wouldn't let the garage reset the service meter.
Now thinking I have a problem with the engine management system in general but am out of ideas.
Can anyone shed any light?
Would be very grateful!!!!
Sharker, You will get lots of friendly responses and help if you post this at www.bmwland.co.uk, look for the 3 series forum. About 2500 members here, very active site, much more so than this newsgroup. Cheers
Sharker wrote: