Intermittent Starting problems

I have a 92 Silverado (V6 with Manual transmission.) My problem is that almost every time I go to start the truck, I turn the key and I hear the click, but it will not start. I and have to keep turning hte key and sometimes after 3 or more turns later it will start. (not always, sometimes not at all) The dash light and radio will always come on. I don't think it is the battery. Could it be something like the Neutral switch, some sort of short? Sometimes I can push the clutch a little harder while starting it and it will start. I am lost with this issues and I am sure it is minor and easy to fix. Any help would be great. Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
chevy man

I have a 92 Silverado (V6 with Manual transmission.) My problem is that almost every time I go to start the truck, I turn the key and I hear the click, but it will not start. I and have to keep turning hte key and sometimes after 3 or more turns later it will start. (not always, sometimes not at all) The dash light and radio will always come on. I don't think it is the battery. Could it be something like the Neutral switch, some sort of short? Sometimes I can push the clutch a little harder while starting it and it will start. I am lost with this issues and I am sure it is minor and easy to fix. Any help would be great. Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
chevy man

The "neutral" safety switch is connected to the clutch pedal and could be out of adjustment

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

How do you adjust the "Neutral Safety Switch", I have never done it before. Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
chevy man

YEARS ago I owned a '74 Vega! I paid $3,000 for it and drove it for ten years, including across country, without any mechanical problems whatsoever - just the manifold or exhaust pipe would burn after a few thousand miles. However, there were two times when it would not start. I would have to raise the hood and short it with a screwdriver to start it. Problem: Some gadget (?) with notches on it that turns when starting had a "slick" place on it. If that place was near the ignition when stopped, the next time you tried to start it, no-go. Just a thought. Yeah, it was still running when I abandoned it with a loose manifold making it so loud it'd drown out the radio. But all in all, it was a well made vehicle considering the aluminum block. I hate working on cars!

Helen

Reply to
Helen

Addendum: The starter was OK as were all other parts involved in starting and running the vehicle, however, whatever this little gadget is called, it was explained to me as a type of wheel like thingy with teeth and one was broken off, so when you stopped and that place stopped in the position where teeth were required to engage the starter, there was nothing catching it to turn whatever to engage the starter. It's similar to trying to go forward with the clutch in... the gears don't engage thus no forward motion. The same was with the starter thingy, thus no start.

There was a time... when all you had to do was turn the ignition on and "pop the clutch" to get a car started... or if it was an automatic transmission, push it until you got to 35 mph. Life WAS simple and a lot more enjoyable without all this computerized gadgetry on automobiles. Look at a Model A and see just what's necessary for transportation! Ahhh PROGRESS!

Reply to
Helen