3series E36 (98-00) vs E? (00+) picky type comparisons

1st, stupid Q: what's the # of the body of the current 3's? E46?
Next, basically I'm considering either a 98-00 E36 2dr, or a 00+ 2 or 4, sport pkg. on whichever. BTW, is there an abbr. for sport pkg.?
There are several deciding factors, and they have to break past the fact that the 00+ is way worse aesthetically. Note, I'm not super concerned about performance diffs. as I was plenty satisfied with that of my current 94 sport pkg. 325is.
1. Is the door on the <00 4dr basically the same size and position as the >00 4dr, or did it get bigger or farther back? IOW, same egress headroom, same room to the rear of the door and support post in relation to the seat?
2. Did they finally change the damn AC filter location, or is still the super irritating to chg. under psgr. dash location?
3. Did they finally put plastic under dash covers as opposed to the cheapo painted cardboard in the early E36's?
4. Were any, or was there an option, for subwoofer output prewiring in the trunk (line level, w/activatable crossover to cut the lows from the other speakers)?
5. How about a Phatbox/Sirius/XM/CDchgr. prewire?
6. What year did side&head airbags become an option? Standard? Did they affect headroom, either egress/engress or in seated position? My mom's new VW Passat is extremely affected by it, so I wonder.
7. And the pickiest Q for last: when did they finally include a compass?
-- _____________________________________________________ Drivin a 94 BMW 325is w/sport. For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com. Yeah, it's really a real address :)

In the U.S.: 2006 4 drs. are E90; 2000-2006 2 drs. and 1999-2005 4 drs. are E46.

Not available on 3 series.
Tom
spewed:

what I've seen driving around.
2006 2drs are still E46?

-- _____________________________________________________ Drivin a 94 BMW 325is w/sport. For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com. Yeah, it's really a real address :)

The current M3, convertible and coupe is the E46. The sedan has transitioned to the E90.

The '99 sedan was the E46, the coupe & convertible (and M3) followed in '00.
There is no abbreviation for sport package. ZHP is the abbr. for Performance Package, which began in '02 or '03.

It's in the engine compartment and is a cinch with two twisties.

No. The premium sound that gives you subwoofers is separate from the std.

They're standard in my '01. Don't affect egress.
Floyd

<There is no abbreviation for sport package. ZHP is the abbr. for Performance Package, which began in '02 or '03.>
For the E46 330i sedan, the ZHP is an excellent package and the one to get! The other bargain was the Xenon Adaptive Headlights with the auto-leveling feature. AT $700-800, its another bargain option!
spewed:

What's the diff. between Sport and Performance?

the thing in the E36.
They didn't by chance change it in the last yrs. of the E36 did they? That'd be icing on the cake :)

models?
-- _____________________________________________________ Drivin a 94 BMW 325is w/sport. For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com. Yeah, it's really a real address :)
I currently drive a 99 E46 323i and previously drove an E36 320i.
To my mind the E46 represents a huge leap forward in terms of interior design, solidity and comfort. Performance is similar for like engines although the E46 is a little heavier although this is offset by the extra torque brought about by the dual VANOS engine..
I also find the exterior design / shape of the E46 is a classic although this is always a touhcy subject and ultimately in the eye of the beholder. To be fair the E36 also still looks clean and in sense timeless in my view.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:40:53 +0930, "SYSTECH"

I thought the E36 started in 92 and had 318, 325, M3, and at some point the 318ti trajedy.

-- _____________________________________________________ Drivin a 94 BMW 325is w/sport. For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com. Yeah, it's really a real address :)
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 21:33:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

    The poster is from outside the US - lots of different engines available elsewhere.     Emanuel

Ah, ok. You know, why is it that US always gets screwed? Less car choice, less option choice (no 325IX for instance), crappier cell phones, crappier cell service, pretty much crapper EVERYTHING!
-- _____________________________________________________ Drivin a 94 BMW 325is w/sport. For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com. Yeah, it's really a real address :)

Don't know about the 325IX, but there is a U.S. E90 325ix sedan and wagon as well as a 330ix sedan. IIRC, same for the E46.
Tom
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

There were other engines offered in other markets. The line-up was limited to the models you mention in the US market.
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

I wonder what makes the 318ti a "trajedy', there are lots of fans for that model out there.
In Canada, I believe the 320 was available until 1995. There was also a and E36 323 offered.
Abroad, add the 316 and a couple of diesels too.
-Russ.

Agreed, great little car (unless it's an automatic!).

I drove one at the time.. it wasn't *that* horrible. Still a fun car, no rocket to be sure but it got out of it's own way.
-Russ.
Somebody. wrote:

Yes, but the 323i is really a 2.5 liter engine. It was one of those stupid marketing decisions to call it a 323...
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:
On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 07:45:39 -0400, "Somebody."

of an IS, just looks "wrong". Never heard anything bad performance or otherwise though. In fact, I think I may have heard it outhandled a 325 (way less power though of course).

Or was it one of the crazy naming things where the engine didn't change but the # did? Never understood that. If they dont' want to keep with the # meaning the engine, just scrap it and renumber rather than confuse everyone :( If they do have a 1.6 and a 1.8, why?! Doesn't seem worth a new block for such a small change.

-- _____________________________________________________ Drivin a 94 BMW 325is w/sport. For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com. Yeah, it's really a real address :)
316, 318, 320, 323, 325, 328, 330, 318d, 320d, 330d all featured in Europe throughout the E36 life. I think the 316 was originally a 1.6, but later became a 1.8, the 318 became a 1.9, the 323 became 2.5 :-)