00 hyundai elantra

Hey I got an 00 elantra that goes in reverse normally from drive to reverse, but when I start it and go into reverse directly.. it doesn't move at all. Sometimes it goes from park to reverse normally but sometimes it doesnt.. it's an intermittent problem. The transmission was replaced and the TCM was replaced as well. Still doing the same thing before it was replaced. Any help with this issue is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Evolution

Probably a safety inter-lock thing. I have a 2001 Elantra, manual shift and it will only start with the clutch depressed.

Reply to
Irwell

Well it's an Auto and of course Manual needs clutch depressed to start. How can it be a safety inter-lock thing if it actually goes in reverse? The problem is, not going to reverse directly from park.

Reply to
Evolution

"Evolution" wrote

I don't know about you car, buy my Sonata has a safety interlock that won't allow it to go into reverse if the car is moving forward, no matter how slow. There may be some sort of electronic device that has to be properly positioned and moving from P to R does not do it, but N to R does. Find out what linkage or switches are involved. I'd start with hmaservice.com

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think you guys might be misunderstanding me to what the problem I'm explaining. Lets say I go to my car, start it up and going to reverse(it does not move). Then when I'm driving and I want to parallel park, so I switch to reverse after it was already in D for a period of time(it works). So I don't think a safety interlock switch can make a difference. Going from P to R is the problem, going from D to R has no problem. That is the only situation that's giving me problems. Thanks

Reply to
Evolution

I understand. You don't. Good luck if you don't want to listen. You may think you are going into reverse, but not really getting there. A safety interlock or linkage problem can cause that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That is a strange one. You are sure you are depressing the brake firmly as you shift into R from P? If you are, it sounds like you need to visit your local dealer or transmission shop.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

The reverse lights come on as I shift to R and I'm watching the shift linkage go into reverse so there's no way that the linkage could be failing. I will check with the safety interlock if you think it could be it, but I highly doubt it is though.

Reply to
Evolution

"Evolution" wrote

hahahahaha That is one of the funniest post I've read in months. No way it could be failing! ! ! That is one funny line.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What's so funny? How can you determine a shift linkage is broken when I can see it shift into each and every gear? If you don't know what you're talking about just stay out of the thread please. Your ignorance is not needed here. I checked it today, has nothing to do with shift linkage nor your silly safety interlock switch. It's more of a wire harness issue as I saw it started smoking up the TCM. Don't try to be a tech if you're not one. Stick with going to garages and asking for service.

Reply to
Evolution

"Evolution" wrote

At least once a week I hear "it can't be this because" and you can figure the rest. No, you didn't see it shift into every gear. You saw some linkage move and an indicator on the dash move. Unless you opened the tranny, you did not see it move into gear.

Without looking at your particular setup I did now know what it was, but I knew it was not inside the transmission. There are many other sources of troubles, such as relays, solenoids, switches, safety interlocks, etc. I was trying to guide you to look in that direction and I guess you did and found a problem.

Thanks for the laugh.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I am not familiar with the Elantra in particular, but I am assuming it has a mechanical shift linkage. It is is all electronic, then what I am about to write does not apply and can be ignored.

When you say you can see it shift into each gear. Are you looking at the shift arm on the transaxle itself and verifying that it is moving? I think Ed's point is that watching the gear indicator inside of the car does NOT verify that the linkage is correct. If the linage is adjusted improperly on many cars you can have indications in the car that all is well, but the transmission linkage is not moving correctly. I don't know if this is the case with the Elantra in particular, but it does apply to many cars with automatic transmissions.

I am not sure what you mean by "smoking up the TCM", but if you mean that smoke was coming out of the module, then you have a serious problem that needs to be addressed by a qualified mechanic.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

Smoke from the transmission control module at any time indicates a serious problem, but I doubt that was the cause of the vehicle not moving when reverse is selected moving from the park position. Nonetheless, it'll be important to determine whether the cause of this smoking was internal to the TCM or external. TCMs are not cheap, and it wouldn't pay to replace one only to find out it's going to do the same thing.

I'd suspect that the problem with not moving in reverse is related to the cable attachment to the shifter or transmission. My reasoning is that this problem only occurs when moving the shifter rearward, not forward. In one case, you're placing the cable under tension, while in the other you're placing it in compression. You should check to make sure the cable is attached properly and securely to the shifter (where it clips onto the shifter base as well as attaches to the lever itself) and the transmission (again where the cable housing is clipped onto a bracket and bolted onto the transmission as well as where the cable attaches to the lever on top of the transmission).

In addition, it's possible that the shift lever on the transmission is not adjusted properly. The fact that the reverse lamps come on is a good indicator that the range switch is properly calibrated to the cable, but indicates nothing regarding the adjustment of the selector lever attachment to the cable.

has at least one very nice technical service bulletin regarding the adjustment of the cable, lever, and range switch.

Reply to
hyundaitech