bmw 328i wont rev above 5500rpm

its a manual and under normal driving it sometimes wont rev above

5500rpm its as if i have hit a rev limiter pls help
Reply to
mark.shiv

Tacho reading low and you have hit the red line?

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Interesting hypothesis. If his speedometer is working properly, the OP can easily check it as the 6200 RPM redline should equal about 105 km/hr in 2nd gear.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

I've never heard 5500 and "normal driving" used together like that.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sadly I found it all too easy to accidentally redline my former 740i auto: -

Near me is an urban motorway, one access has a short steep up ramp off a roundabout, followed by a very short filter section*. The best way to filter in if following (usually the case) was to select S on the box hold back and then hit it hard on the last bit. You would then arrive in the right place at the right speed to be able to filter out and achieve motorway speeds.

After filtering out over two lanes of traffic, unfortunately I noticed that the car would sometimes redline in second, which was no doubt significant in the early demise of its engine - the only one of my five 7 series that has had a major problem, although the fault was probably mainly Nikasil.

Never went much above 5,000rpm in normal driving though.

R. Mark Clayton

Well, in "normal" driving, my 3 Series never goes over about 3500 ~ 4000 rpm, and frequently ends at about 2500 rpm at speeds less than those needed on the freeway. I've ventured to redline when I need to, but I would not call these adventures "normal".

Jeff Strickland

But then, you're an idiot.

Reply to
dizzy

I've never come across an auto where the engine could be over-revved in drive - and most these days can't be in any other selector position either. Indeed most change up well before the engine cutout which is fitted to prevent over-revving on a manual box car.

I'd be very surprised if regular short bursts to the maximum revs permitted made any difference whatsoever to the actual life of any BMW engine - unless this is done before the oil reaches operating temperature.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Probably the same for me, with the main exception being motorway slip roads (on ramps in US?) where good acceleration gets you up to the speed of the traffic and allows easier and safer filtering in. Moreover in an auto it won't stay above 4k for long, even if you keep your foot down and 4k in 4S corresponds to ~100mph.

The example above was a worst case as the ramp followed a roundabout, was very short and up hill with an off ramp shortly afterwards (so quite a lot of weaving) - drivers who dither on it get stranded in an active lane and hit up the rear!

Likewise and my new[er] 735i steptronic box is better behaved.

R. Mark Clayton