bmw 328i wont rev above 5500rpm

its a manual and under normal driving it sometimes wont rev above 5500rpm its as if i have hit a rev limiter pls help

Tacho reading low and you have hit the red line?

Interesting hypothesis. If his speedometer is working properly, the OP can easily check it as the 6200 RPM redline should equal about 105 km/hr in 2nd gear.
Tom K.
I've never heard 5500 and "normal driving" used together like that.

* http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=manchester&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&llS.471854,-2.237043&spn=0.002851,0.006706&z &iwlocdr

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=manchester&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&llS.471854,-2.237043&spn=0.002851,0.006706&z &iwlocdr

I've never come across an auto where the engine could be over-revved in drive - and most these days can't be in any other selector position either. Indeed most change up well before the engine cutout which is fitted to prevent over-revving on a manual box car.
I'd be very surprised if regular short bursts to the maximum revs permitted made any difference whatsoever to the actual life of any BMW engine - unless this is done before the oil reaches operating temperature.
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Jeff Strickland wrote:

But then, you're an idiot.