Tire Suggestion for BMW 200 328i

All,

I always had a dream of owning a bmw. I finally did it when I was 24, bought it on my own money, with all savings from Phoenix. But now I moved to Iowa, and I am in a fix. It looks like BMW does not like winter.

I am trying to think what tires do I need so that I can atleast drive around here without sliding. Any suggestions. I currently have a sports wheel, 17inches.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Bmwlover

"Bmwlover" haute in die Tasten:

I would suggest you getting a second set of rims (take steel, not alloy) and a set of good winter tires (sorry, do not know the brand names in the US, but I often hear good things about "Blizzak"). A

328i with rear wheel drive and wide summer tires is virtually undriveable in winter. Proper tires will change a lot. Do not choose the biggest/widest wheels available but go just the opposite way - this may look somewhat awkward, but the Rallye professionals do it the same way. Besides that it is essential to learn to drive under winter condition. If you know how to handle the car on slippery roads, this is big, big fun. A special winter driving training may help a lot. You should ask your local automobile club after it.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

Reply to
Victor A. Garcia

You do not say what model BMW you bought. In any case, you want to get a set of 4 of the smallest diameter rims that you can fit on your model without interference from the brakes and buy narrow winter tires such as Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin arctic alpins. With these tires you will be pleasantly surprised how good a winter car your RWD BMW is...

By the way, youy may want to check at

for winter tire and wheel packages for your car.

Reply to
Fred W

Victor,

Either your son (apparently a smart boy, going to Dartmouth college no doubt?) is pulling your leg or you are exaggerating just a tad. I live just down the road from Hanover and the winters here are *not* 7 month long. Mid November to Mid April is about it, closer to 5 months of winter tire driving than 7. If you were still driving on snow tires in the middle of June people would look at you quite strangely. Far worse than wearing white shoes after Labor day...

Reply to
Fred W

"Fred W" wrote

Guessing from the subject line, he's got a 2000 328i. If TR website is correct, he could get 16" rims for winter with 205/55/16 tires, or try putting on 205/50/17 winter tires on his existing rims (rim width permitting).

Pete

Reply to
Pete

thanks a lot guys for your suggestions.. will look into it..

Reply to
mihir.steels

thanks a lot guys for your suggestions.. will look into it..

Reply to
mihir.steels

Actually he also claims for the winter to be only 5 months, but for me, a Floridian at heart, .... is more like 9 months, so I got the middle figure. Don't know for sure when he does the switch, but it's before mid May, that's the earlier I had been there, still way too cold for me. Now, I do love your fall (end of September) what an experience !!!!!! Also love the prime rib at Jesse's, best one I had ever !!!.

Enjoy your lovely paradise .. except >> My son 325is also has 245 on 17"; went to Hanover NH, 2 years ago, first

Reply to
Victor A. Garcia

It's amusing how quickly the human body adapts to the average temperature changes. In the Fall, the mercury dips to the mid forties and everyone is bundling up with mittens and scarves (even staunch native New Englanders), but this past week when we have had some unseasonably warm temps (highs in the mid 40's) everyone is walking around in tee-shirts (no exaggeration).

As do I. Really worth the "price of admission"...

Thanks for the tip. I have driven past countless times but never stopped. I will make a point of doing so based on your recommendation.

Thanks. I'll stop by yours when I need a dose of winter relief, and few rounds of golf in February... ;-)

Reply to
Fred W