Peugeot 406 - wonky rev counter

I've just bought a Peugeot 406. The rev counter hovers around 1800 rpm unless you accellerate hard. Then it dives to 0 rpm until you ease off the accellerator.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Cheers, Jiffy

Reply to
Jiffy

The message from "Jiffy" contains these words:

Petrol or diesel?

Reply to
Guy King

Engine type helps. But hey, why bother? So long as you don't labour it or rev the nuts off it the info it gives you is next to useless anyway. Except if your speedo fails of course.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Doh! It's a 1.9 TDi.

Cheers, Jiffy

Reply to
Jiffy

Doh! It's a 1.9 TDi. I'm used to revving the nuts pff an old Sierra but I don't want to do that to my new car so I'd like the rev counter working.

Cheers, Jiffy

Reply to
Jiffy

The message from "Jiffy" contains these words:

Check the back of the alternator for a loose connection.

Reply to
Guy King

Personally I've found with the Xantia equivalent that A) it's so noisy revving the nuts of a diesel that you won't do it and B) I think they may have a limiter stopping you red lining it. I've just had mine MOT'd and I did an Italian tune up on the way to the garage. I find it really difficult to get within 100 rpm of the red line. Oh and C) self control is a good thing.

Reply to
Malc